VTR Battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VooDooChris

VTR Battery

Post by VooDooChris »

Hiya,

Well my battery has given up the ghost and I need a replacement. To be honest I don't think it's ever been 100% as the bike always took some starting, even when the weather was good (it's a pig when cold).

So the question is, do I replace it with exactly the same battery or should a go for something a little more power to aid start up. Are the gel batteries any better? Can I fit something more powerful anyway or will it damage the bike? Last but not least, where is a good place to buy one from?

You comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

VC
agentpineapple

Re: VTR Battery

Post by agentpineapple »

check out busters, they were selling motobatt gel batteries for £45, the big powerful jobbies with 2 extra terminals, i bought one last year, they are very good, now my bike wants to start,even in cold weather :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

mine starts fine any weather after a new standard battery :thumbup:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
simo

Post by simo »

Busters have Motobatt battery's on offer for £36. That's for the 9 bsx ,if you get the 12, the battery compartment lid won't close. The 9 throw's mine over fast enough.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Homers_dad

Post by Homers_dad »

Just fitted a Motobat to mine and it's a significant improvememt on a standard battery.
I use mine all year round and when it was cold it was touch and go starting, not any more!
Dance like no ones watching, and live each day as if it's your last.
'cause one day you'll be right!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i put a 12 on mine, you just leave the lid off, busters are selling them for £45 delivered
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:i put a 12 on mine, you just leave the lid off, busters are selling them for £45 delivered
Hi Marty, Something I've been meaning to check myself, I'm I right in thinking the only way to remove the battery box lid is to cut it off :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, just cut it off.

You could re-attach it higher up if you made hinges out of a spare bit of packing, but it's not needed; you won't miss it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:Yes, just cut it off.

You could re-attach it higher up if you made hinges out of a spare bit of packing, but it's not needed; you won't miss it.
Cheers Tony for the info and suggestion :thumbup: I had thought about raising it up if it was detachable (great minds think alike eh :wink: ), but it's not quite as simple as that, as the lid clips locate into mouldings in the under tray, so if you raise it up they won't line up anymore.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's not too much of a problem, Chris.
The battery compartment lid has three functions, to stop the battery jumping upwards if you hit a bump, to protect and cover the terminals, and to give a locating position for a u lock if you put one under the seat.

Unless you use a u lock, forget that one.

As to the battery jumping up, the relocated lid will still do this, as it can't hinge up much before the front edge hits the underside of the seat.

Lastly, the cover will still protect the terminals.

Your only problem is that in order to remove the battery if a larger one is fitted you have to unclip the fuse box first.

I find, though, that the larger battery fits fairly neatly into the box, and it's own weight coupled with the snug fit keeps it in place.
You could make it even more snug (snugger?) by leaving a couple of lengths of that sharp pallet strapping round and under the battery; it helps when you want to lift it out again.

You could always use a block of expanded polystyrene under the seat instead, but mine has no cover and it's never caused me any problems.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you can make it easier to take out by putting a strap around the middle(mac put me onto this idea)
you could also put a couple od cable ties around it, would do the same job.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Tony for your enthusiastic reply, nice one :thumbup: Now I have no excuse :wink:

Thanks to you also Marty for your suggestion, although I thinks it's what Tony spoke about it's still none-the-less a good one :thumbup:

Chris.