General Biker Banter
Murv

Re: Facebook

Post by Murv »

It worked then!! awesome, thank you :D
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

bigspanishmarty wrote:a lot of elderly people on the forum who can't/won't do facebook, there are a small renegade group of us that are on f/b tho, it wouldn/t be a bad idea.
Hey, that's rampant ageism ! "...a lot of elderly people on the forum who can't/won't do facebook..." Listen here young man, I'm old and could do Facebook if only I could remember where I put it. In my day we didn't have computers and we made our own bikes because pistons were rationed in the war.
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

if it's private, don't put it on Facebook
it's not about what one posts as if it's private don't put it on the internet anywhere, full stop. Not unless your network is set up as an encrypted tunnel that goes through a proxy server.

Facebook don't care so much about peoples privacy and personnel details as they make money from selling you. They should be paying you 100,000 a year for selling yourself. Then behind the scenes you have a lot of nefarious app's, spam, picture, video etc which can link to profiles including your email used for the account.

Then there is the advertisements even down to being logged in to your FB account, then go and visit any other site that has one of those FB like dislike buttons and FB has monitored what your looking at and selling your details and actions on to marketing companies who will then tailor advertising towards you

Then because FB is so popular and notorious for some dodgy activity/online bullying, teenage prostitution etc etc, it is then highly monitored by government/police and also employers or companies. One may think they are safe if all their FB security setting are set to private but because of FB's, for want of a better word, political/moral stance, you are still vulnerable as there are many back doors in.

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

teenage prostitution you say, can you post a link to this.... :wink:
only for research purposes of course.... :Eyebrows:
i think what was meant by private is, if your shagging your sister inlaw, its best not to post it on facebook, its much better to go on the leremy kyle show........... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

by private is, if your shagging your sister inlaw, its best not to post it on facebook
Or from an employers point of view an innocent drunken picture. But this is surface stuff and easy to avoid by not posting anything like that and tell your friends not to post stuff like that which involves you as your more than likely tagged. It's what goes on behind the scenes which is more worrying.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

bigspanishmarty wrote:teenage prostitution you say, can you post a link to this.... :wink:
only for research purposes of course....
Hi there.
bigspanishmarty wrote: i think what was meant by private is, if your shagging your sister inlaw, its best not to post it on facebook, its much better to go on the leremy kyle show........... :lol:
Who is leremy Kyle? :lol:

The only reason I have Facebook is so I can talk to people who don't have unlimited texts. I don't think I've posted anything since like November, statuses only get posted when the girlfriend steals my phone :thumbdown: it's also nice being on good terms with your friends parents. I have baby photos I can also blackmail them with by saying I'll upload them :lol: :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

AMCQ46 wrote:
seb421 wrote:I don't use Facebook I don't like it
+1 :thumbdown:
I'm with you on this :thumbdown:

I was advised to register with facebook by some people, they said it was a good point of contact for forum members, well I wish I’d never bothered and seriously thinking of closing my account :Smash Computer:

I can see a reason why some people use Facebook, i.e. keeping in touch with family friends who are far away, or away from home etc, but I’m sorry, I personally think it’s a load of rubbish with most of the people posting uninteresting s**t with no substance what so ever, there is also another problem for all us responsible parents out there with the growing impact this is having on kids/teenagers, in some cases causing very serious problems :Mad3:

Some people on there, need to wake up, smell the coffee and get a life, in my opinion you must have a very boring life if you have to keep reading about what other people are doing :Sleep2:

Instead of writing about an imaginary life, they should get out there and live one :confused

RANT OVER
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cheekykev wrote: I personally think it’s a load of rubbish with most of the people posting uninteresting s**t with no substance what so ever,
unlike this encylopaedic volume :lol: :lol:

do agree though CheekyK with everything you say. I've got two people at work who seem to have created some form of persona about their own awesomeness and they actually believe it, whereas the reality is there is no substance to it, they are wombles useless nobs.

Years ago the Guardian tried to do an investigative job on how Facebook initially got funded. There were two characters who fronted a CIA investment arm, the company bank rolled a lot of initial Facebook development and yet nothing was known about where the funds came from, and these two had very dodgy backgrounds. One thing I remember is the Ts and Cs were (maybe not now) that anything posted becomes the property of Facebook and it can access and share your information without your permission. And you never used to be able to close and delete an account as it was not yours to do so.
Murv

Post by Murv »

I don't worry too much about Facebook, it's all common sense really.
If you're shagging your neighbors wife in your home run explosives factory in your shed then it's probably best to keep it quiet.. likewise for drunken nights out immediately before a day off "sick" from work...
I also choose not to put pics of my daughter up, although I know most people do.

It is what it is really, take it or leave it!
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Am I not the only one who doesn't care who knows what I'm doing? Lol

I really don't think me and GCHQ need to be mates on facebook for them to realise when I'm taking a sh1t etc, I think common sense tells you what and what not to put on there
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Rob

Post by Rob »

callam_nffc wrote:Am I not the only one who doesn't care who knows what I'm doing? Lol

I really don't think me and GCHQ need to be mates on facebook for them to realise when I'm taking a sh1t etc, I think common sense tells you what and what not to put on there
Exactly. I'm no fan of FB but it can be useful. If you want to post all your most personal details and videos of you doing 150mph on a public highway please don't moan if it becomes public and you get in trouble.

Someone from an insurance company could join this forum and see what mods you've done and not declared.....

If you don't want anyone to know something, then don't tell anyone :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I had an account for about 3 months. got abuse from the missus because of contacts from people I didn't want to be contacted by.
the mother of a friend of my daughter who I used to go to school with who lives nearby !? she was making friend requests, my missus was thinking I was up to something! a bloke I did some private work for , his missus was sending friend requests?? the whole thing was a big pain in the butt. I closed my account and breathed a sigh of relief, I wasn't even up to anything !!

ive heard of several incidents of people getting the sack as a result of putting crap on there.

not for me thank you :beer: :clap: :beer: :beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Does make me wonder how many relationships have formed/broken up due to facebook
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

lumpyv wrote: the whole thing was a big pain in the butt. I closed my account
Yeah I know how you feel, I haven't looked into doing that yet, how do you go about it :?:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

cheekykev wrote:
lumpyv wrote: the whole thing was a big pain in the butt. I closed my account
Yeah I know how you feel, I haven't looked into doing that yet, how do you go about it :?:
it wasn't easy . you have to go into account/profile settings and send an e mail I think?. iirc it asked me about 3 times "are you sure you wish to close the account" " you can start it up again straight away anytime for 3 months" etc etc

I had to type the question into google to find out exactly how to do it.

mark zuckerberg is quite pleased about it all though I guess
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.