2001 Firestorm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
bigtwinthing

2001 Firestorm

Post by bigtwinthing »

hi I have just purchased my first ever "Honda" after 39 yamaha,s. Various types etc but i am loving the Firestorm. I have picked up a 2001 5770 mile bike in great condition with full service history, totally original. What do i need to check on to start?. I have been told about the cam chain tensioners and water pump issues but thats about it. Any feed back ois more than welcome thanks.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Wicky

Re: 2001 Firestorm

Post by Wicky »

Greetings and a great choice of bike.
Check out the workshop knowledgebase subsection of the forums on how to fix the CCTs, while you're there check to see if the R/R is an early unfinned one, if so replace with a later more efficient finned version (some early storms weren't registered till 2001 when Honda introduced the later revamped model) . Not heard that the water pump has any problems but for such a low milage one that's been sitting most of its life you might want to replace all the fluids and give it a good service. Use the downloadable Honda Service Manual PDF to see what needs doing.

Whereabouts you based? and post some pics of your new Stormbeasty.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the Forum, sounds like a nice low milage bike you found.

there are only 2 real reliability issues
1) the Cam Chain Tensioners [CCT] and these can be maid failsafe by fitting a cut to length spacer inside the CCT body, the instructions are in the workshop knowledge base, and people on here are available to talk you through it is you are concerned.
2) the Regulator / Rectifier on early bikes didnt have any heat sink fins so would get hot and fail......this then kills the battery. Fit one from a later model [your might be OK, but I cant remember when the changed, but you can feel if it has fins by lifting the seat off and finding teh R/R bolted to the side of the subframe near the back of the seat.

dont know of any water pump issues

oh and put your location in the user info profile and we can then be able to get local help or ride outs sorted

looks like Wicky got there first with all the same answers
AMcQ
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Many thanks guys. I have got the "finned" regulator and the motor is sweet with only 5775 miles on but i will keep listeneing for a Cam chain rattle.
I have changed the oil.brake fluid and coolant already so it really is ready to have a blast on. handling seems fine at the moment but its a tad wet here (new forest) to give it some serious leans at the moment but it does seem to turn in fine. It has Dunlop Sprotmax qual tyres on but i normally have Pirelli corsa,s but i will give them a try. I have a Givi Box and Givi Arms to sell but not sure how i post this at the moment.
I am not really worried about the fuel consumption as i only use it for fun(quite lucky) i do want to change the cans to extract some better noise as v twins do sound good.

I have had a BT1100 and an MT01 and they sounded awsome on better cans. I had Danmoto cans on my Fazer 1000 (had 3 of these) and they were fantastic.

Many thanks and looking forward to some dryer weather.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

the motor is sweet with only 5775 miles on but i will keep listeneing for a Cam chain rattle.
Best take preventative action by fitting manual CCTs ( http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720 ) or fixing with the stopper mod, as when the CCT fails it goes suddenly and without warning - and has happened on bikes with milage as low as 7000 miles.
Last edited by Wicky on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

dont be kidded that you will be able to catch the CCT problem by listening for failure. on this bike [as with any single cylinder or V2 engine] if / when the CCT fails you will get no warning and the force of the valve springs on the Cams is enough to make it jump a few teeth on the sprocket on a loose chain , and the 2 or 3 teeth movement in timing is enough to let the valves hit the piston.

it is best advise to do the stopper mod now and then if there is a failure the chain wont get slack enough to jump a tooth, but you will get a rattle to tell you that you need to get a new CCT
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy, sort out the cct's asap, then you'll having nothing to worry about, what year and colour is your bike???
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

hi Bike is a 2001 with the bigger tank and dash etc and is bright red. very happy with it so far, but havent had enough good dry weather to go out and check the handling.I have just changed froma Yam Fazer 1000 and i like the fact that is so different.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like you have a very nice bike there and extremely low mileage. To post pics you will need to use an online image host like photobucet or equivalent. Ipload you pics there, then copy and paste the supplied code into your posts.

Welcome to the forum :beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Welcome aboard, I have a 2000 mile one from 1998, not many of us with sub 10,000 mile bikes I don't think :)
I had a lot of straight fours and single cylinder supermotos and love the V-twin :)
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
seb421

Post by seb421 »

My god where have you guy's found these bikes that that previously been owned by a hermit :thumbup:

Enjoy the bike mate
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Mine been stood for 10 years when I bought it as the owner worked abroad :) I had been looking on and off for nearly a year for a really really nice one before I found mine in the summer.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard bigtwinthing :thumbup:

As already mentioned CCT's (which you already know about) and the rectifier are the two main things that can go wrong, the rest of the bike generally speaking is pretty good if looked after.

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club bigtwinthing. Enjoy the bike and the forum.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
denisblackvtr

Post by denisblackvtr »

Welcome to the best forum for vtr's mate! :thumbup:
GAS GRASS OR ASS NOBODY RIDES FREE