Dynojet Kit And Cans?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
IgorVigor

Dynojet Kit And Cans?

Post by IgorVigor »

Hello.

I am thinking about getting some race cans and a dynojet kit.

I am unsure which cans to go for though...

I am looking at the Motad Venom Oval Stainless cans
and the Fuel Exhausts Oval Stainless cans...
Both are road legal (with baffle fitted) and are around £300 with link pipes delivered.

I had a Fuel exhaust on an old bike and was impressed with the quality, but I have heard that the Venoms are loud even with the baffle fitted (the fuel arent)
And that tempts me :)

Now is the dynojet kit worth the £90? :S
Seems a lot for a few jets, and needle with clips :S

And if I ran the cans without the baffles, I know most cans are similar then, so anyone care to say some base jet sizes, etc to start out.

Setup would be:
Motad Venom or Fuel Exhaust with no baffles.
Stock air filter
Stock engine

I know all bikes are slightly different but an idea of what jets I would need would be nice...

Main Jets are 175 and 178 so would something like a 190 be correct? (Standard honda jet sizes)
pilot screw 2 1/2 turns out (I would adjust them once all fitted)
What about the stock honda needles? add extra shims? or not needed?
any other jets need changing?

I know there are already posts about the dynojet kits, etc, but I am getting confused as one post will say one set of jets and another will say something different...

And I cant remember, but the standard carbs are Keihin VP's arent they?

I dont really want to spend out £50~£80 on a K&N or Pipercross filter...
I dont like the K&N's and I have read that the Pipercross are tricky to setup without a Dyno...

Thanks and await some help :)

P.S. Once they were all fitted and working I would see if I could afford to take it to GT Motorcycles in Plymouth as they have a Dyno and set up the jets etc as required...
IgorVigor

Re: Dynojet Kit And Cans?

Post by IgorVigor »

Just wanted to ask another question.

I need to balance my carbs, but I havent got the tool at the moment.

The rear carb opens to far, so it starts closing a bit past the fully open point, when the front carb is fully open.

which way will I need to turn the balancing adjuster to get the carbs open fully identically?
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Thanks...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dont adjust the screw without gauges attached - there is no way of telling by eye & you'll probably make it worse.

as to the jets - id say yes, get the dynojet kit - try http://www.jcmotors.com in the usa, the part you want is e1185. find it then use the online chat thing to arrange cheap postage to uk as their standard rate is $39.
i ended up paying about £60 for mine.
the jets (as posted in another thread) aren't the same number as other manufacturer's sizes - check the other thread to see what the difference is.
i'm not sure you'd get away with just shimming the oem needles or if that'd give you a mega flat spot in the midrange.
as to the air filter, i wouldnt bother rejetting with the standard filter - you shouldnt have to, even with race cans..
if you are going to change the filter, i recommend the bmc1404R, but again it's an import!

why don't you like k&n filters?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I dont like cotton gauze filters personally...

They dont filter enough for my liking...

oil foam, like the pipercross are better...

personally, I would like an oil bath filter but I dont think the engine would like that :P

And I know I cant get the carbs perfectly balanced without gauges, but I can do it a little by ear, so I can tweak it so its closer to being open at the same time....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just be aware the the cans go 2:1:2, so you can't use exhaust pulses on your hand to set carbs, like you can with a single pipe for each cylinder set-up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I meant using the tube in the ear and listening for a difference when the tube is near the carb venturi...