Fill Her Up....AGAIN

General Bike chat
stuav007

Fill Her Up....AGAIN

Post by stuav007 »

Ok folks i have had my nice shiney silver T reg firestorm for about 3 weeks now (one of which i was away).....but am having difficulty understanding why the hell i cant get more mile out a tank of fuel.....RLOD comes on at about 80-90 miles with various driving styles, am seriously pissed off, i didnt buy it to spend most of it my time in garage forecourts and spending shed loads of cash on fuel......have now got to the point am going to get rid her and go back to an inline4, or get a TL which i should have done in the first place....am regretting buying it...which is a shame since i do like it.Also it pretty crap 2up as i found out the other night when i took "her indoors" out for a blast, she hated it and wished i still had my Fazer1000....
So what to do....hhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
kevg

Post by kevg »

i might be wrong but i think the TL has only very slightly better fuel economy.
cheerz

kev
orangestorm

Post by orangestorm »

Hi mate bear with it a while you've bought a great bike.With regards to your problem 80miles to a tank seems extreme anywhere between 90-110 is average for a standard bike yours may have been tweaked.I would suggest getting it checked on a dyno and see how it's running. Good luck with it :lol: :lol:
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

The bike is totally standard and hasn't been tweaked....how much fuel/money does it take to fill mine takes about £10-12 to fill up.....maybe my fuel light is coming on way too early.....maybe i should fill her up and a can of fuel (strap it to the back) and run it til it dies....might be an idea....or how many more miles should it do when the light comes on????
Jason

Post by Jason »

Mine comes on around 100-120 its a year 2000 never before 100 :?
yellowtrev

Post by yellowtrev »

As with previous replies, stick with it a couple of months. Your mileage will improve as you get used to riding a twin.Fuel economy is not THAT bad its a case of a small tank equalling reduced tank range to what you are probably used to.
My light used to come on around the 90-95 mark when i first got it now it averages about 105-110 and i'm not going slower just using the engine/gearing better.
As kevg said the TL is not alot better fuel economy.
I fancy a stretch or a drink after 100 miles anyway, so i don't find it too annoying.
As for pillion my wife hates it but she was spoilt with my previous bike,BMW K100LT.
andy c

Post by andy c »

My wife thinks the pillion is comfortable thinks it helps with being one big seat and she's not stuck up high looking over my head. after one ride on my zx12r she refused to get back on that and the sv1000 gave her a bad back.
Stick with it for the summer and you will discover the charicture of the storm. It really does grow on you
mick

re

Post by mick »

god i must be sh1t at riding ,3rd v twin ,around 80 miles every time (10 quid ) but always withen the speed limit officer
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

i went and rode the yorkshire tt last night i went through to near darlington and then on to stockton then to stoksley on to helmsley then to thirsk then up to northallerton and home again 94 miles and the red light didnt come on' didnt break the speed limit and rode at 60 in 60's ect and £7.80 to fill er up :D i have had my veeteeearrgh for 2 months now and its been a blast :D :D :D :D :D
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

stuav007 wrote:The bike is totally standard and hasn't been tweaked....how much fuel/money does it take to fill mine takes about £10-12 to fill up.....maybe my fuel light is coming on way too early.....maybe i should fill her up and a can of fuel (strap it to the back) and run it til it dies....might be an idea....or how many more miles should it do when the light comes on????
As said before, get used to riding the v twin. Also stick a set of race cans on it. They added at least 10 miles per tank
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Fit an aftermarket air filter and get it jetted to suit
(Do a search of the forum for K&N or pipercross and you'll find loads)

Mine used to get RLOD at 95-100 miles
Post filter it is now 120-125

Pillion seat isnt greatly padded so make sure she is happy moving about on it to stop numb elbow
Also, a grab rail is a must
As is some sort of anti-slip mat on the seat to stop them squashing your nads against the tank under braking 8O
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Might sound a daft question, but are we talking just till the light comes on or near empty??

My light comes on around the 95-100 mile mark but I can usually only get about 11-12ltrs in so that means there is best part of another gallon in there before it runs out.

I remember one chap who came out with me on his storm and we did about 60 mile and he was panicking like mad cos his light was on and he wanted to fill up - after we detoured to find fuel he only got about £7 worth in the tank :roll:

Not sure if it's possible to adjust the sensor in the tank??
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

As long as you're getting 35mpg+ then you're doing OK for a 1000cc V-Twin.

Ben has said before that the stated 16ltr (older model tank) only actually holds more like 14ltr, so it really is tiny. The older model Hornets didn't do much better, despite being a 4 cyl.

How much more than 100 miles do you do before stopping for a fag / walk / wee anyway?
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
LotusSevenMan

Re: Fill Her Up....AGAIN

Post by LotusSevenMan »

"Ok folks i have had my nice shiney silver T reg firestorm for about 3 weeks now"

Well that's good!

"RLOD comes on at about 80-90 miles with various driving styles, am seriously pissed off, i didnt buy it to spend most of it my time in garage forecourts and spending shed loads of cash on fuel".

You don't. It's a tenner to fill it up. Shed loads????? It is annoying when out with mates who have a 180 miles range but they ain't got nice torquey 'V' twins.

"Also it pretty crap 2up as i found out the other night when i took "her indoors" out for a blast, she hated it and wished i still had my Fazer1000"....

Great!!! SWMBO only slows the bike down anyway. :roll: Leave her at home, put the solo seat cover back on (that's why it's supplied!) and enjoy.
quote]
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

cheers guys am feeling slightly better about the whole thing now....i will persevere for a while longer and see how i feel.....i would only normally stop to fuel anyway and have a fag/coffee/piss break about then, so will have to get used to stopping earlier than normal, and riding a twin is different and suppose am not used to it as yet....on the up side she is a looker.. :D