What's in a noise?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Demonic69

What's in a noise?

Post by Demonic69 »

Hi All
So I'm new to V-Twins and still getting used to the thumping going on near my sensitive areas.
I've been riding it for a week or so now and it's certainly good fun, but I can't tell if it's running right or if I'm just imagining things.
More recently (after a run out last weds) it seems to sound like it's slapping a bit, that's the only way I can explain it! The noise from the exhaust is a bit more like a bang than a rumble and it seems to want to backfire and burble on the overrun.
Am I just being paranoid or is there somewhere I could start looking?

Cheers
macdee

Re: What's in a noise?

Post by macdee »

If you sort out the cct on the bike most of the worries will leave you as far as the engines goes
Mcct or stopper mod for peace of mind
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

Thanks for the reply.
It's got manual CCTs already, not sure how to know when to adjust them. Just reading through the reams of information you guys have (seriously, I'm a member of lots of forums and not a one has the vast knowledge base this one does!)

Cheers
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Turn up to an event (Workshop day/ rideout) so somebody can listen to your Storm beastie for untoward noises that can be hard to describe in words.

The most common noises are 'carb fart' (perfectly normal), suck squash bang & blow, and the occaisonal CCT 'death rattle'. Banging on overrun usually a sign of fuel weakness/airleak in the exhaust /intake. Have you checked the header/link pipe gasket seal and manifold gasket for leaks? Carbs seated properly ? And if you have a more freer flowing aftermarket can this will be noiser than standard and might need rejetting/dynoing for optimum performance.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

Wicky wrote:Turn up to an event (Workshop day/ rideout) so somebody can listen to your Storm beastie for untoward noises that can be hard to describe in words.

The most common noises are 'carb fart' (perfectly normal), suck squash bang & blow, and the occaisonal CCT 'death rattle'. Banging on overrun usually a sign of fuel weakness/airleak in the exhaust /intake. Have you checked the header/link pipe gasket seal and manifold gasket for leaks? Carbs seated properly ? And if you have a more freer flowing aftermarket can this will be noiser than standard and might need rejetting/dynoing for optimum performance.

Cheers Wicky
I do plan to meet up as soon as I get chance. Even if it's just to listen to other bikes and see if mine's "normal" :D
That's given me some ideas of thing I need to have a look at. I'll check the exhaust and the carbs. It does seem like something might have rattle loose after a ride. :oops:

Cheers
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I've had the same thing recently. It doesn't sound as deep and throaty as before, it's got a harsher kind of crack to the exhaust note. Also surging at 4k rpm, which I'm slowly trying to fix.
Was all good (I think) before removing PAIRS and fitting a quick shifter, so maybe I should refit PAIRS and disable the QS, see what happens.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

TravisZack wrote:I've had the same thing recently. It doesn't sound as deep and throaty as before, it's got a harsher kind of crack to the exhaust note. Also surging at 4k rpm, which I'm slowly trying to fix.
Was all good (I think) before removing PAIRS and fitting a quick shifter, so maybe I should refit PAIRS and disable the QS, see what happens.
Sounds like a plan, start from scratch and go from there.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

PAIRS, pain in butt rear shock?
popkat

Post by popkat »

PAIR is a Pulsed Air Injection, draws clean air from the air box through reed valves in to the exhaust post combustion which ignites any unburnt fuel, it's an emissions thing.. on a storm you can flip the reeds over remove hoses and blank off.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:PAIR is a Pulsed Air Injection, draws clean air from the air box through reed valves in to the exhaust post combustion which ignites any unburnt fuel, it's an emissions thing.. on a storm you can flip the reeds over remove hoses and blank off.

PAIRS only fitted to later Storms in the UK...What years your one ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

Ah, mine's a 97 so not on the list of bits to worry about :thumbup:
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

popkat wrote:PAIR is a Pulsed Air Injection, draws clean air from the air box through reed valves in to the exhaust post combustion which ignites any unburnt fuel, it's an emissions thing.. on a storm you can flip the reeds over remove hoses and blank off.

Worth knowing, cheers. Mine's an 02. Haven't looked in that detail yet.

I have an fmx650 motor which is nestling in a cb250rs frame. That came with hoses into extra ports under the exhaust ports. Must do a similar thing? They're getting blanked off.