Newly fitted front disc is warped??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
macca__macca

Newly fitted front disc is warped??

Post by macca__macca »

Hello fellow Stormer brethren,

I have just fitted new discs after replacing my old OEM ones.

Having now fitted the wheel back on the bike, I can see and hear that the front right disc is not perfectly flat, once per wheel revolution it rubs against the disc.

I tightened the disc to the correct the correct torque when fitting it, and the old disc wasn't warped at all so I know there is nothing wrong with the wheel itself.

Anyone have any tips on how to correct this new disc without over tightening one half of the bolts (which I presume would bring the warped side in?)?

Picture attached to show you the new discs. The front right is the problem but the pic shows the front left. Love the way they look!!

Cheers!

Macca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MacV2

Re: Newly fitted front disc is warped??

Post by MacV2 »

What make are they ?

The matting surface on the wheel needs to be spotlessly clean... any bit of dust/dirt/rust/crud will make the disc sit funny on one spot...

If new but warpped send 'em back...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Also, as the front disc's are floating disc's, may be they (well the right side one anyway) need centralising on the bobbins by using the front brake a few times? Only a thought,

Chris.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

MacV2 wrote:What make are they ?
What make are they, and where did you get them from ? if they're Chinese off flebay, bin them and put the old ones back on :confused
Just as a matter of interest why did you change them :?:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have you had the wheel powder coated?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Hey Sirch345 that's a good thought! I can't do that until I finish replacing my brake lines and put brake fluid back into the system but will try that first.

I decided to buy new discs because my old discs felt slightly wavey on the left side. So when I replaced the pads and flushed the system I also bought new discs. They are off ebay but another ozfirestorm member didn't have any issues with them. I don't think they are warped and the build quality seems fine. Could just be the alignment as Sirch345 suggested hopefully!

macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

I took another look at this when I got home from work tonight and I think that it's not a problem. Depending on how I move the semi floating disc with my hand I can pretty much prevent the sound of the rubbing, so I'm pretty sure that if I slightly tighten one or two bolts on that part of the disc the problem will go away, but I probably don't even need to do that as I'm sure when the brake is applied the floating behaviour of the disc will allow it to move enough to prevent shakey breaking.

Thanks all for the input. I shall report back in a few weeks if it turns out to be a problem!

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

macca__macca wrote:I took another look at this when I got home from work tonight and I think that it's not a problem. Depending on how I move the semi floating disc with my hand I can pretty much prevent the sound of the rubbing, so I'm pretty sure that if I slightly tighten one or two bolts on that part of the disc the problem will go away, but I probably don't even need to do that as I'm sure when the brake is applied the floating behaviour of the disc will allow it to move enough to prevent shakey breaking.

Thanks all for the input. I shall report back in a few weeks if it turns out to be a problem!

From the A&E department if it is a problem...
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Well to be fair the first ride will be a gentle test around the block to see if the brakes pulse, in the same way I'd do any test ride after working on it.

I'm not about to ride out on something I honestly think is dangerous! Bear in mind we are only taking about what may possibly amount to a slightly wavy disc in the worst case scenario, which I'll be able to feel pretty quickly.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

lift the wheel up, place some blutac on the fork leg with a match just touching the disc and slowly spin the wheel. It will show up.easy test and you will probably find its a bit of crap stuck out from the carrier. Lay the disc flat and use some feelers to check etc.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

I don't have a proper runout gauge but holding my digital caliper up against the fork leg I think the runout is around the limit of 0.3mm or possibly more, but again without the right equipment it's pretty impossible to tell.

If I have to fit my old discs again, should I have them resurfaced first? I am waiting on delivery of a micrometer to accurately measure the remaining thickness of my old discs.

Thoughts?

Such a pain in the butt! I've had the wheel, calipers and everything off multiple times already and want to be done with this...

Would it be possible to get the new disc machined to fix the runout?

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You still never told us where you got them from & what make they are...Surely if they are faulty you can send them back ?
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Bought them off an ebay seller, currently going through the returns process but because it has been so long since I bought them before finally fitting them last weekend, I think I am past the usual return period.

Re: machining the old discs - is this ever necessary on bikes? I know with cars it's good to machine discs when you change brake pads...

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

macca__macca wrote:Bought them off an ebay seller, currently going through the returns process but because it has been so long since I bought them before finally fitting them last weekend, I think I am past the usual return period.

Re: machining the old discs - is this ever necessary on bikes? I know with cars it's good to machine discs when you change brake pads...

e: machining the old discs - is this ever necessary on bikes? I know with cars it's good to machine discs when you change brake pads...

Umm no it Aint. if you let them get that bad id say its too late.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

When you refitted the wheel did you just throw it in and nip everything up or did you bounce the forks to centralise everything before the final tighten of pinch bolts etc!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!