Exhaust Baffled

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Metalmad18

Exhaust Baffled

Post by Metalmad18 »

Hello.

Got a pair of dual ported arrow exhausts on my late father's black storm, after removing an unmatched set of remus cans. It is ridiculously loud and can get quite annoying at times. Changing them out is not an option as it took ages to find them and even longer to adapt them to fit the bike.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good baffles i can use. Obviously ive got 4 holes to fill and i have heard that some baffles can actually harm more than help and sometimes cause other problems. The ports themselves are angled too which might make things tricky.

Anyone here got any good ideas? The dimensions are 1.5" and 2"

Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
AMCQ46

Re: Exhaust Baffled

Post by AMCQ46 »

get some good quality earplugs that work well for your ear shape and then the pipes will be fine
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I second the ear plugs.Loud pipes save lives. :?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Give this guy a call...Very helpfull & knows his stuff when it comes to baffling people with Baffels...

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.php
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Make sure you always carry a spare pair of ear plugs for the old bill when he stops you to :lol: :lol: :lol:
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

I'm a sound engineer and a music lecturer so I make sure I wear ear plugs as much as possible. Can't really do my job if I lose my hearing. I used to tour the world a lot as a guitarist too so earplugs were used constantly. Had custom ones made too which I used for mixing and riding. however the foam ones have a higher db reduction level when used properly. (approximately 40db reduction compared to 25,20 or 15db in custom moulds) So I tend to favour foams where possible.

It's not the volume that bugs me, more the obnoxious tone of it. I think this is partially the downpipe issue I'm having (see other posts)

I also live in close proximity to others and I am always coming home from work late at the weekends (sound engineering) so if I could get some baffles to be a considerate neighbour more than anything else, then it might help.

Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well the top outlet is doing most of the shouting so go onto ebay and search for db killers. i got a set for mine that are angled for track days and they dont half cut the sound and they were cheap as chips..

or buy earplugs lol :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This may be a silly question, but are you sure they are Arrow cans and not just an Arrow sticker stuck on them :?: The only twin spout can's I've come across are Blue Flame, but then perhaps I don't get out enough :wink: :shh: :)
Metalmad18 wrote: I also live in close proximity to others and I am always coming home from work late at the weekends (sound engineering) so if I could get some baffles to be a considerate neighbour more than anything else, then it might help.
Being a considerate neighbour is not something I come across everyday, well done I'm impressed :clap: :clap:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote:This may be a silly question, but are you sure they are Arrow cans and not just an Arrow sticker stuck on them :?: The only twin spout can's I've come across are Blue Flame, but then perhaps I don't get out enough :wink: :shh: :)
Was just reading this thread and was thinking exactly the same, I've never seen Arrow cans like this, it's not how they build them. Carbon can company used to make twin spout cans that looked very much like those.

No offence meant here but the bike is a twin, why would you want 4 spouts ?, I think a slimline oval suits these bikes well, Microns are not an option anymore but I think Fuel make a nice one..

Interesting you toured as a Guitarist, were you with a band ? a rock or metal band by your name or is that the engineering side ?
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

They are definitely 100% Arrow dual port cans! :thumbup: Although they are a good few years old, and are no longer I the catalogue.

Blue flames have a complete "unbroken curve" in their ports. Arrow cans have the "kink" or bent bit in the middle of the spout! Complete with Italian welding (not the best finish)

I haven't seem many dual posts, and I think this is only the 3rd set I've seen. But, they are genuine!

I run the single port oval Blueflame evos, but all the Blueflames have a smooth curve. :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:They are definitely 100% Arrow dual port cans! :thumbup: Although they are a good few years old, and are no longer I the catalogue.

Blue flames have a complete "unbroken curve" in their ports. Arrow cans have the "kink" or bent bit in the middle of the spout! Complete with Italian welding (not the best finish)
Good point GBM about the Blue Flames spouts being curved. So Arrow did actually make twin spout cans, I must admit I didn't know that. I'm guessing with them being old they may have never had baffles in the first place, or if they did you cannot get them anymore.

JC exhaust (link below) supply baffles that could possible fit twin spout cans, although I can't say they will fit the Arrows for sure. Having a word with them could be helpful:-

http://www.jcexhausts.co.uk/ukbusas.html

Chris.
TheGingerBeardMan

The only thing that gets me with Metalmad18s cans, are the Arrow decals. Early arrow cans didn't have that particular heat-resistant decal. It was a different design. The decals look like a newer run. The cans should be stamped with the Arrow it. stamps or other European/Italian markings.

I can't see the photo well enough to see if they are the earlier bolt in baffles. I think they are as I can't see an "indent" at the end of the spout for a circlip to sit onto. The blue flames and newer Race Tech Arrows are homologated with the removable circlip and Dbkillers.

The only thing I can suggest metalmad, is contact Arrow themselves (in the UK) by the link below:

Arrow Exhausts UK (Main Page)

Arrow UK Contact Form

TheGingerBeardMan

Weird! Had a look on the USA fleabay, and the Italian, and can't find a single pair of early twin port Arrows for sale. Didn't find a photo either on t'interweb - thought someone might have posted a pic up with their bike kitted out in them. But alas, gadzooks, and damn it! Had a good look at the full size pics on the photobucket and can't see any bolt hole for the baffles - it looks like there's no way to fit any! Hmmm. :think:

As I couldn't also see any stamps on them, are they marked up on the inside face? (the side facing the swingarm). I had a look at he left side link pipe, and remember you saying they were a bitch to fit on - is that large link pipe sleeved over the VTR pipe? Can see it going large down to the side-stand, and then the VTR pipe takes over?

Perhaps, Maybe? Possibly? I dunno! What I DO know, is it's time for bed Zebedee. So, cocoa, nightgown, candlestick and pointy hat time. Image

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Metalmad18 wrote:I'm a sound engineer and a music lecturer so I make sure I wear ear plugs as much as possible. Can't really do my job if I lose my hearing. I used to tour the world a lot as a guitarist too so earplugs were used constantly. Had custom ones made too which I used for mixing and riding. however the foam ones have a higher db reduction level when used properly. (approximately 40db reduction compared to 25,20 or 15db in custom moulds) So I tend to favour foams where possible.

It's not the volume that bugs me, more the obnoxious tone of it. I think this is partially the downpipe issue I'm having (see other posts)

I also live in close proximity to others and I am always coming home from work late at the weekends (sound engineering) so if I could get some baffles to be a considerate neighbour more than anything else, then it might help.

i don't like to say this but you've bought the wrong bike then if you need one to be quiet. Or put original cans back on, there really cheap on flea bay.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!