advice on forks and shock

General Bike chat
RAINMAKER

advice on forks and shock

Post by RAINMAKER »

thinking of being Rogered next year, also new shock, but which would be best? or most suitable for the storm...........I don't go flat out but do want good handling..........any ideas guys
it may be clever, but its not big.
Max

Post by Max »

I'm glad you started this thread as my bike now only has the suspension left to play with. I had thought of getting the forks rogered and fitting a penske rear shock at the same time as I believe that revolution sell them as well and should be able to match everything up. I haven't contacted them yet for prices have you ?

Max
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Off the top of my head its
200 notes for the forks if you take 'em off and post them to him yourself
550 ish for the shock properly setup for your weight and riding style

Give him a bell, he's always happy to chat

Ben
Max

Post by Max »

Sounds reasonable, I'll give him a ring after xmas is over
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Best get in touch BEFORE Christmas , mate , at least for a chat & to get it booked in

Suspension guru's start to get well busy in the New Year , as the start of the racing season approaches. I don't mean you'd get turned away , but its best to be able to pick times to suit yourself , IMHO

Get it done , you know it makes sense
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
bluesman

I can recommend....

Post by bluesman »

Probably front forks revalve etc. will be better answered by UK based people..so - a bit of my own experience with proper shock absorbers.
I had chance to compare stock to Wilbers and to Ohlins.
Result - I have on my bike Wilbers/Technoflex shock absorber.
Ohlins was brilliant, no questions, but lacks one adjustement that cost a lot as option.
Wilbers shock have 22 clicks on compression/rebound but: it has 2 adjustements for compression - "fast" and "slow", meaning that you can adjust separately reaction of shock to different road conditions.
So, "slow" compression adjustement allowed me to have bike setup for quite aggressive riding, but "fast" one allows to still have shock "eating" small bumps, cracks etc.
Result: WAY different handling, bike is much faster and stable in corners; also, after first ride I could not beleive I was on same roads, that thing isolated me from bad road surface magically well.
Ohlins is much more "non-compromise" shock - or race track or touring - can't have both.
In front forks I goy Hyperpro all-way-progressive springs - I know, purists will say that "progressive for amateurs" - but my "racetrack" it is south of High Alps with at least 3500 km of crazy mountain roads every summer, and I do not tow my bike behind car, I have to ride there first - so I needed good balance between handling and comfort - and I got it.
Wilbers sell their shocks online as well as via Hein Gericke.
Price for shock absorber with everything except remote for spring preload (I am not bothered - using wrench) is 615 Euro (430 GBP), and you have to provide your weight as springs and settings meant for particular model of bike and weight of rider.
Here is link to online shop - official distributor that ships to all countries directly to customers:
http://www.bikers-warehouse.de/
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Druid

Post by Druid »

I had my suspension sorted by Darren at MCTechnics New springs and oil in the front (but no re-valve) and a WP rear shock. All set up for my weight and riding style, £500. Transformed the bike, they could so easily come from the factory like this :(
Martin

Post by Martin »

I keep thinking about it, but Lancaster is a bit far to travel, and I haven't got an alternative to the bike so can't afford to have it off the road whilst the forks are sent away. Does anyone do springs and valves as a kit?
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
Max

Post by Max »

Transformed the bike, they could so easily come from the factory like this
Thats the real sad bit :cry:
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Martin wrote:I keep thinking about it, but Lancaster is a bit far to travel, and I haven't got an alternative to the bike so can't afford to have it off the road whilst the forks are sent away. Does anyone do springs and valves as a kit?
Racetech does kits for Storm.

Here is the link:
http://www.race-tech.com/
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul