Helmet visors?

General Bike chat
Virt

Helmet visors?

Post by Virt »

What's the rule with tinted/iridium helmet visors?

I know that any dark tints or iridium is technically illegal, but I heard that police usually don't care (much like small number plates) unless you've already been pulled over..? Just ordered a new helmet so I'm curious, as it doesn't have a built in sun visor like my Duchini.

Thinking of going with this visor for ultimate blue-ness :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
slower110

Re: Helmet visors?

Post by slower110 »

I've use a dark visor pretty much all the time, only time I will carry a clear is if I know I will be out after dark. Never had a problem once, but then again I am quite sensible....time and a place and all that.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nothing illegal about dark visors as long as you only use them during daylight hours, unlike small plates which they will do you for.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Like Slower............I use a black visor most day time and take a clear visor with me most of the time. never been pulled and when I ride with Police I have seen a few of them with black visors on their own helmets :shh:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Virt wrote:What's the rule with tinted/iridium helmet visors? They are soooo last year my dear...

I know that any dark tints or iridium is technically illegal, but I heard that police usually don't care (much like small number plates) unless you've already been pulled over..? Just ordered a new helmet so I'm curious, as it doesn't have a built in sun visor like my Duchini.

Thinking of going with this visor for ultimate blue-ness :lol:
Be warned Virt the coating is very easily scratched, I did have one me self, well over a year ago mind, silver not blue coated & in the end I junked it due to the scratches & the coating just looking mankey.

IMO just buy a dark tint & carry a clear if you know you'll be riding after sun down.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i did manage to get a photochromic pin lock insert for my old Shoei helmet and it was a great solution to our variable weather, but it cost over £40 and they dont make them for many helmets :(
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

photochromic pin lock insert for my old Shoei helmet
I like the sound of that, a bit like my reactalight glasses. Do Arai make any. :think:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
photochromic pin lock insert for my old Shoei helmet
I like the sound of that, a bit like my reactalight glasses. Do Arai make any. :think:

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/co ... nlock.html

Scroll down 5th item...just released doesn't look like they are for sale yet...52 bloody quid tho!

Edit...

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/product/Ara ... ck-inserts

only 44 bloody quid here... :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks Mac. Not cheap 8O I think I would want anti scratch at that price. I am due a new visor. :think:
[youtube][/youtube]

Last edited by VTRDark on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:Thanks Mac. Not cheap 8O I think I would want anti scratch at that price. I am due a new visor. :think:

Been using pinlocks for some time now Carl, they are fairly robust TBH it's not very often you have to clean the inside of your visor, so scratchings is not really an issue.

When you buy a new visor get ones that's pinlock ready as drilling them accurately is a pain, & if not done right the pinlock wont seal & wont be fog free...so an expensive waste of money.

Pinlock ready should come with little plugs in the holes so no draughts BTW... :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

On the plus side when I changed helmet I was able to sell the photochromic pin lock for what I bought it for as they had stopped selling them :D
AMcQ
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I just want to know why they are so expensive. roof visors are 60 odd quid :eek2
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

lumpyv wrote:I just want to know why they are so expensive. roof visors are 60 odd quid :eek2
Because they have you by the short and curlies, there is little or no competition. Only competition I can think of is Bob Heath, I didn't think they still existed, but it seems they do

http://www.bobheathvisors.co.uk/ I cant see that they do a Roof visor but it may help someone.

When I were a lad, we would buy a sheet of polycarbonate from a diy store and cut our own. They were cheap and the pukka ones didn't seem to be much better.
cliveyandrews

Helmet visors?

Post by cliveyandrews »

It's a shame you about Roof Visors - I'm on my 3rd now - they just fit me right.

Biggest issue I have, from when I was commuting, and changed my visor a lot, is that the visor screws are made from cucumber. In the end I took to carrying a 20mm screwdriver to get them out (visor changing is a faff) I'm not ham fisted, but if you use a coin, or anything that's not an EXACT fit, they mash up. And £20 for spares is ridiculous.

But - crash testing proves their protection:

=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Been wearing dark visors for some what 6 years now and never had any props with the boys in blue :thumbup:
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5