Gone to the dark side....

General Biker Banter
pinkyfloyd

Gone to the dark side....

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Its with sadness I come to you with news that I am leaving the Firestorm world behind and moved to the dark side and bought myself this:

My reasons for this treachery are many and I shall explain as best I can.

Firstly it is a money saving exercise. I'm getting terrible fuel economy from the Storm and this has an extra 10-15 MPg which in todays climate means an extra 40 miles or so before fill ups. With a 17L I have to fill up twice to match the miles I do in 3 fills on the Storm which saves me £17 straight away. Tax is £20 cheaper.

Secondly. I just cant justify owning the 1000cc sports bike when all I do is go to and from work and the odd jaunt a few times a year. If truth be told I cant really justify owning a motorcycle at all as everything I do around Portsmouth can be done on foot or pushbike but I cannot bring myself to be without a bike.

Lastly, I'm getting older in my old age and my back is starting to give me dogs abuse. I'm finding being bent over, even tho the Storm is far less cramped than a full on sports bike, I get off it with my lower back aching and my sides in pain. The new bike is a much more upright position.

Yes I will miss the power and grunt of the Storm, and the noise. On the M/way home last night a black and yellow storm was behind me and I could hear the roar and I will miss that. But it is time to move on and think about my health and wallet.

Still waiting for the CCT's and then will get them installed and sell the beastie and I will still haunt this forum.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
Ckennedy

Re: Gone to the dark side....

Post by Ckennedy »

Sad news. At this rate there will only be a small amount of us let on here that own storms :lol:

Least you have some good reasons :thumbup: Hope you enjoy the new bike, it looks good :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

I did the same thing for the same reasons pinky when I went for the GS.

Hope to see the the bike irl soon :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Ckennedy wrote:Sad news. At this rate there will only be a small amount of us let on here that own storms :lol:

Least you have some good reasons :thumbup: Hope you enjoy the new bike, it looks good :thumbup:
When I bought the Storm I loved it, and I still do. But what is the point in having a dog and barking yourself? Which is how I feel about the bike. Visually I think shes so pretty where most people dont. But I use a bike for 95% town riding. I dont need the storm for that and she eats petrol like its going out of fashion pottering around town in 2nd gear. In truth the only time it hit 6th gear this year so far has been when I took it up the motorway the other week. CCT's started rattling on the way home which only enforced the truth of the situation. There was simply no point keeping her. It'll be heartbreaking as she is my first big bike I owned. (the Gixxer was a loaner).

But...

Pottering along drinking fuel at 30mph in second gear vs pottering along in 6th saving £17 every second refill makes all the difference through the year. Its a massive saving in the long run.

Initial thoughts on the new bike are good though. Even though I give up grunt and power this little thing feels lighter (same weight) and more agile around town than the Storm did. Its lower which suits my little legs and its a lot more comfy for my back. I'm still breaking the engine in so no hooliganing at the moment but she seems to have plenty of pull, not as much as the Storm, but enough to pull away decently. Only took a couple of seconds to get from 30 to 70 on the m/way yesterday.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But what is the point in having a dog and barking yourself?
I don't have a dog anymore so I do bark and growl. :roll:

I totally understand your reasons for leaving the Storm and as a Londoner I know what you mean about pottering around town. :roll: Well, racing around town. :lol: I wish you luck with the new ventures and don't be a stranger, do pop your head in from time to time. :thumbup:

Lovin the colour scheme on the Yam :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Looks nice that mate, but im not sure what it is, Yamaha what?? What's the engine?

Not having a firestorm doesn't bar you from this forum, or I hope not otherwise what am I doing here :eh: :eh: ......
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Miztaziggy wrote:Looks nice that mate, but im not sure what it is, Yamaha what?? What's the engine?

Not having a firestorm doesn't bar you from this forum, or I hope not otherwise what am I doing here :eh: :eh: ......
Its the new XJ6. The lump is the same engine as the Fazer just detuned a little more. Oddly enough the Fazer was a detuned R6 lump so what I have is a detuned twice R6 lump.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

red line it, they go then, i had one for a loan bike and it was great once you revved it. You will miss the noise, the grunt but above all you will be able to stand up after 150 miles, i miss that ,, good luck though.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

bigtwinthing wrote:red line it, they go then, i had one for a loan bike and it was great once you revved it. You will miss the noise, the grunt but above all you will be able to stand up after 150 miles, i miss that ,, good luck though.
It was strange being able to sit at 30mph in 6th gear comfortably. :lol: She is very sedate at low revs and when the engine is broken in I will give it the beans and see what shes like in higher revs. Apparently when you get past the 7K RPM mark she does kick in pretty well.

But comfort is great. I got off the thing after a motorway ride soaked (forgot my waterproof bottoms and it pished down)

I dont regret getting rid of the Storm but I will miss her.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

as long as you stay around its all good.........dont care what bike you ride you are still part of teh comunity now :thumbup:
AMcQ
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

AMCQ46 wrote:as long as you stay around its all good.........dont care what bike you ride you are still part of teh comunity now :thumbup:
Aww shucks. :oops:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

a very nice bike you have there dude...... :thumbup:
i really like the colour scheme, you know all good things come to an end, if i'm honest, i think the storm is a terrible town bike, other than being narrow theres no reason to own one for town riding. as for fuel economy....please!!!!!!!!!!!!
its seems whenever i go out on the bike i have to fill up, or at least think about filling up... :crazy:
and friend of mine bought an old t-reg xj600 i had a little test ride and i was very impressed, ok its a world away from the one you've bought, but if its been improved over the last 13yrs i can only imagine its a great bike for what you need. get a loud exhaust on it, it'll make you feel better.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I had one as a loaner when mine was in for a service.
:D Cracking bike :D
Nice wide handle bars , uprite position, very stable and good visability over the cars make it an ideal commuter.
you'll love it once its ran in :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Biggest thing i am noticing, especially today in the gusty wind is I'm getting rattled around a bit. You really do notice the difference between the faired and unfaired bike at motorway speeds.

But the street riding. OMG! Handles like its on rails, can turn on a penny coin where the Storm has a massive turning circle. I had to catch myself throwing it around a 90 degree corner at 30 because it was comfy.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

looked at the pic and can't believe that is a 21st centrury XJ6. Nice :thumbup:

I understand where you're coming from Pinky. Commonsense for me at the moment would be to sell the bike, cycle most places or use public transport. But I'm resisting it at the moment as I value the feel good factor the Storm gives me where I'm at at present, and that's currently worth a fortune to me. Mind you the tax is due next month so I might feel a little different then :lol: .

Good luck with it and once a Stormer, always one, as Al has so rightly pointed out :clap: