Are you riding this winter? What do you wear?

General Bike chat
geodude

Are you riding this winter? What do you wear?

Post by geodude »

I just put this together as a response to another forum.

To keep warm, I go for the layered approach. Here is the kit I use for 0-6c

Oxford Chillout Neck Tube
Base Layer Set
Thermal Set
Long Socks
SealSkin Socks
Gillet
SIDI Cobra boots
Spada Jacket
Spada Trousers
Alpinestars 365 gloves

To be honest though, the gloves are pretty useless in those temps, so I have gone back to my Hein Gericke gloves.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
adyf

Re: Are you riding this winter? What do you wear?

Post by adyf »

Start with pringle thermal long johns +long sleeve top,then full kushitani leathers with armour,thermal socks,sidi vertigo boots,oxford bone dry onepiece waterproofs,gloves Hein gericke waterproof insulated,finally cold killer balaclava(top stuff).
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Today out and about in rain and wind...

Tech7 muffs and heated grips (daytona) then gloves aren't a major concern.
SIDI Black Rain Waterproof Boots (size bigger than normal to accommodate thicker socks) with Millets thermal socks
M&S thermal tops & bottoms
Tech7 Saturn jacket with fleece layer underneath
Millets Snood
Leather trousers recently dubbined up. Though when it gets very wet/cold then Tech7 Saturn 'chousers.

Returned dry and toasty warm
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You will be needing many layers in the coming week if the weather forecast is to be believed. They have even given the weather front heading toward us a name, The Beast from the East. Snow and down to -6.
Good luck chaps.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
playerone

Post by playerone »

I wrap myself up in a volvo s40 :lol: :lol: :lol:
geodude

Post by geodude »

playerone wrote:I wrap myself up in a volvo s40 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not literally I hope 8O
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Weise gore tex jacket and trousers, sidi evo rains and my old hein gericke gloves. if going to work i wear normal clothes and a jumper. if just going for a ride a long sleeve tshirt and jumper and my pro skinz all season base layer.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that is the best combination so far, all fully Gotex'd up. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Open face helmet
Buff
Merino wool baselayer t shirt
Long sleeve active wear top
EVent waterproof and breathable cycling jacket
Sealskins socks
Trials boots
Trials trousers
Trials gloves but with a pair of waterproof breathable MTB gloves in my pocket incase it gets too cold or wet.
Carmelbak for fluids if it is a long ride
If raining I add XCTing stretchable over trouser

That lot works down to -5C but it helps that I am riding a trials bike and it can't go above 40mph, and you generate a lot of heat when you ride the sections.

I have no idea why anyone would want to ride on the road in winter, man up and get a car :lol:
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

geodude wrote:]
Alpinestars 365 gloves

To be honest though, the gloves are pretty useless in those temps, so I have gone back to my Hein Gericke gloves.
I agree the 365 is supposed to mean every day of the year, but that must only apply if you live in the south of Italy, they are at best a 1.5 season glove even with heated grips.
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:
geodude wrote:]
Alpinestars 365 gloves

I agree the 365 is supposed to mean every day of the year, but that must only apply if you live in the south of Italy, they are at best a 1.5 season glove even with heated grips.
It's a shame really as the gloves are probably the best I have had, comfort and protection wise. Cheers for the recommendation :thumbup:
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Tech 7 Bar Muffs - Not the best on the Market by any means but they work

Oxford Sports Heated Grips

Spada Enforcer Winter Gloves (well past there best but i still use them as they have a wiper blade and i don't need water proof new ones with the bar muffs)

Arai Viper GT

Cold Killers Maxi Tube (by Knox the body armour people) this is a fantastic tube feel no wind or anything even at 90

Frank Thomas XTI Extreme Jacket - had this a few years now its a 3 layered jacket and its still fantastic tho the pockets get a bit wet now inside so i have to put stuff in the inside pockets if its torrential rain

Two T-Shirts

A Long Sleeve Thermal Vest

Two Hoodies

Long Johns

Trackies or Jeans With Day Glow water proof Over Trousers on the top

My summer boots

Tech 7 Overboots covers - has made a world of difference for 10 quid, dry and warm feet down the motorway :)

i have to wear a lot of tops and jumpers because i have to basically work in an open sided building so if i don't take all the jumpers etc its pretty grim in work, get this in winter its always at least a degree colder inside work than it is outside how sh1t is that

I would strongly recommend any one that uses hot grips to use some type of racing wire on the grip like motocross bikes as on the motorway other night it was down to -4 or -5 i had them on full whack and it had melted the glue on the throttle tube so as im coming home on the motorway im holding the throttle open and its twisting back shut ended up with the grip that far round max speed i had at one point was 45 mph! lucky it was 3:30am and there was no wombles on the road

Its not happened before that and ive had them on for a few years but at the time i didnt know what was going on with the bike i thought sh1t it was just running flat im giving it gas and its just going pahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hardly making any difference wasn't till i got home i noticed how much i had wound the bar round the hot grip wire was tight with no slack no wonder it wouldn't twist any more
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

My Keis heated vest is an absolute must. I recently bought a battery so I can wear the vest when off the bike, and great for camping in the winter. Is this an age thing...

The new Keis jacket is £160, long sleeved and the heated membrane is all over and around the neck. I think that's good value.

Also my Hein Gericke pathan two fingered gloves. Had them years now and think I'm due a new pair coz I think they are not as warm as I remember when they were new.

Wind chill is the killer. I find ex-army goretex camo smock and trousers do the job brilliantly. I wear cordura gear and find you must keep the jacket and trousers dry, the membrane is inside so the skin is dry but the jacket and trousers are soaking wet. Not good.

But I also agree with one of the earlier posts...the heated seat in my Golf is the dog's b...ocks...

:thumbup:
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just made myself some long johns out of bubble wrap. Lovely and warm, but you can still see me bits through the transparent plastic, so I've had to gaffer tape over them in strategic places.
Worn over a clingfilm mankini they work really well at keeping you warm and dry, but frankly you get some funny looks at the Dartford Tolls.

Sadly my old welder's gloves don't keep the rain out, though.
(sigh) More clingfilm, I suppose.
But the leather welder's apron means that at least Masons pull over to let you past.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

ust made myself some long johns out of bubble wrap. Lovely and warm, but you can still see me bits through the transparent plastic, so I've had to gaffer tape over them in strategic places.
Worn over a clingfilm mankini they work really well at keeping you warm and dry, but frankly you get some funny looks at the Dartford Tolls.
Have you got any pics :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside