Fuel petcock diaphragm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ex-viffer

Fuel petcock diaphragm

Post by ex-viffer »

Anyone had the diaphragm in the fuel tap go on 'em?

My Storm was running a bit crap below 4K rpm on a steady throttle, and I think it may be due to sucking air in through the vacuum hose to the petcock, as I found petrol in it when balancing the carbs. Furthermore, the vacuum reading for the rear cylinder goes up and down a little bit at times.

I've had this before, on my VF500 and VFR, where the diaphragm cracks and things don't work quite as they should, but I managed to fix both of them without replacing the diaphragm.

I'm waiting on a call from Honda on the price for this part, but I'm guessing it will be "not in stock, available ex-Japan for twenty-three bazillion dollars", like all their other parts....
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

err, if it splits then yep you will have fuel in the vacuum pipe, it would also piss out of the air hole directly opposite the connection of the vacuum pipe. You can't buy the diaphram seperate either which is shite. If it has gone then don't take off the fuel pipes if there is any petrol in the tank as it will also piss out everywhere. Turn it off first.

seen only 1 go before.

Del.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Hi, Del. :)

Well, I don't think it's been leaking out of the air hole thingo (wondered what that was), so it's obviously not a bad leak then, and the diaphragm's probably not split, or at least not badly.

Can it just leak around the tap or summat? There was definitely a little bit of petrol in the bottom of the hose (the piece I added on via the T-joint, to go to the vacuum gauges).

Is this a likely cause of uneven running at constant throttle? It's either that, or maybe my sparkploogs are tired? I dunno when they were changed last, but I've had the bike about 10 months, and the previous owner didn't do a great job on maintenance.

- Ian in EnZed
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I think if it's split then thats it fuel everywhere, depending on where the split is to then no fuel in the carbs ,change the plugs, balance it up, always prove ya gauges first, connect em both to 1 cylinder.

Could disconnect 1 fuel pipe off the tap, stick it in a fuel container and then give a gentle suck (damn - opening meself up here for some abuse) on the vacuum pipe to see if the tap actually works or not.

Del.

Del.
SuperWheelie996

lol

Post by SuperWheelie996 »

twenty-three bazillion dollars", hahaha
Jason Terry
RQ

Post by RQ »

I was recently going through the same issues with running rough, and had priced the piece that has the diaphragm on it. The bit you can buy can only be described it is "Half of the Tap" and is £38.20 GBP plus postage from Chiswick Honda.
I haven't decided whether I need it or not yet!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

Why not do the CBR fuel pump thang and do away with the diaphragm completely?
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!