how do you guys do your wheelies?

General Bike chat
h3r3t1c

Post by h3r3t1c »

come on share the wealth of knowledge people,
I've got mine up by going up to 4krpm and shutting the throttle off then opening her up A LOT, kinda harsh to the girl, How do you guys get it up? (oooh errr missus)
DON'T SUFFER FOOLS.... SHOOT 'EM

Suzuki GSX 750 F
Biamo Renagade
Suzuki VX800
Yamaha YZF600
Triumph T 595
Honda VF1000 F
Suzuki GSXR 750 WN
Yamaha RD 350 F2
Honda ST 1100
Kawasaki ZXR 750 L3
Honda VTR1000F
benny hedges

Re: how do you guys do your wheelies?

Post by benny hedges »

usually when i don't mean to :oops: like forgetting the clutch grabs and trying a fast exit at the lights, exiting roundabouts and 2nd gear corners.
my best wheelies have been accidental!
i know if i tried to do a perfect long wheelie it would flip on me.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
geodude

Post by geodude »

I'm still learning but I launch them in 1st gear. It depends on your gearing. On mine its 3-4k (20mph) clutch in, dab the rear brake to dip the front (don't need to on the storm but its habitual from wheelie school and means you are covering the brake) rev to about 5-6k and dump the clutch. Best way to learn is to get yourself along to wheelie school!! :)

On the bandits I used at wheelie school, I'm about ready to try and change to second. Way too scared on the storm at the moment, especially after flipping it :P

Click South Coast Wheelie School you tube link in my signature below. Get someone to buy you a gift voucher for xmas :)

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... lie+school
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

2nd gear, just under 4k, dip the clutch add a bit of throttle and dump the clutch back out. Always cover the rear brake as Geo says.

experiment with what a bit of throttle means and get used to bring it up gently. Then modulate the throttle [little pulses like a saw tooth profile] to hold it up.

if you do bring it down quickly remember to brace your knees on the side of the tank to try and stop gonad to metal contact!.............Then remember to check your head bearings!
AMcQ
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

Click into 2nd 20mph and gun the throttle....1 tooth less on the front, no clutch nonsense required :lol: :lol:
geodude

Post by geodude »

VeeTeeArrrrrrr wrote:Click into 2nd 20mph and gun the throttle....1 tooth less on the front, no clutch nonsense required :lol: :lol:

Stolen from another forum
power wheelie: comes up slow, but by the time your balanced, you're going wombles fast.
clutch wheelie: comes up quick, but by the time your balanced you're going much slower
Slow hurts less!! Still hurts though. :)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

geodude wrote:
VeeTeeArrrrrrr wrote:Click into 2nd 20mph and gun the throttle....1 tooth less on the front, no clutch nonsense required :lol: :lol:

Stolen from another forum
power wheelie: comes up slow, but by the time your balanced, you're going wombles fast.
clutch wheelie: comes up quick, but by the time your balanced you're going much slower
Slow hurts less!! Still hurts though. :)
Um what forum is that then please? this is my method, not stolen at all...... :thumbdown:
geodude

Post by geodude »

VeeTeeArrrrrrr wrote:
Um what forum is that then please? this is my method, not stolen at all...... :thumbdown:
I meant the quote was stolen, not your method :thumbup:
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

Ah I was thinking I had a twin brother................. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

VeeTeeArrrrrrr wrote:Ah I was thinking I had a twin brother................. :thumbup:
And his bike was stolen?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I know it's not the macho biker thing but

I can't do wheelies :oops: TBH when I was 16 my mate got some suzuki 250 stroker, I jumped on the back and he caned it up the road, front came up, I was lobbed off onto a load of loose chippings so a bit of a phobic thing. sorry but maybe off to wheelie school - it's one of those things to do before you die etc etc
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Badly is the best answer i have :lol: .
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

With my eyes 8O shut and a paniced look on my face!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

benny hedges wrote:usually when i don't mean to :oops: like forgetting the clutch grabs and trying a fast exit at the lights, exiting roundabouts and 2nd gear corners.
my best wheelies have been accidental!
i know if i tried to do a perfect long wheelie it would flip on me.
Normally exactly the same as this

Hoping that I should be able to do it alot easier (on purpose) now I've changed the gearing :biggrin
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

I do mine with a tortoise head poking out.