Bikes & Bikers

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Bikes & Bikers

Post by Kev L »

I am interested in the experiences of the rest of you peeps when out riding. I have been riding for a number of years now and have noticed a definite change of attitude between riders. When I started, bikes were socially unacceptable, not the fashion accessory they have become and riders would always show out to each other. Either a wave, nod or even a flash (lights, nothing else!). Now there seems to be a distinct lack of any acknowledgement in the majority of cases.
Is this general across the country or isolated to the home counties. Don't get me wrong I don't come home and weep (well not much) or create voodoo dolls of other riders, but I do feel it's a shame if this is a general attitude shift. What do you reckon?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
benny hedges

Re: Bikes & Bikers

Post by benny hedges »

still see a lot of nods up here tbh, hard to tell whether the rider is oldschool or not tho as theyre usually blatting the opposite direction with lid on :D
know what you mean tho... shame really.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Thank God I thought it was just me!

Yep definitely worse than it used to be, also nonexistant in London, mind you they could be too busy staying alive :eek2
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think it is getting less common, but I still nod or wave even if they dont.....makes me feel like I am setting a good example. :wave:

I even nod at kids on their stepthru peds, they probably assume I am senile!
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I can see what you mean, but it really only ever took a nod. We have lost something which differentiated us from the cage drivers
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I guess the proof of the pudding is in how long they stay with bikes. I am like your good self AMCQ I will wave at anyone whatever the bike. Get some funny looks from the weekend outlaws (solicitor/accountant on pristine Harley thing) but keep thinking it may promote a response.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Kev L wrote:We have lost something which differentiated us from the cage drivers
saying that, bit before my time like, but car drivers wearing an AA grille badge used to wave at each other...
ah them were the days... when are were a lad... before the war.... :silent:

one thing you dont see, like Ever, is riders wearing colours nodding at sports riders :Ball Kick:

i make a point of stopping if i see someone broke down, even if it means turning round and riding back... even in my car, helped a few people out at the roadside thanks to a decent toolkit & petrol can in the boot.
would piss me off tho if someone was arsy about it...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

Some days i go out and everyone nods back or nods before i do , i live in a slightly more rurual setting and most bikers around here are great ,the occasional blank but you'd expect that ,probably commuters .

I went for a ride up to the ace cafe a week ago and then thought i'd have a ride around North london , out of maybe ten bikers i saw, only 3 nodded back ,but then a lot of the bikes were sh*t heaps , i think i lot depends on where you are, and the old bikers who have been riding years being diluted with a new set .
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i always nod at most bikers, (apart from scooter boys, goldwing owners and most bmw riders!) one thing i did notice earlier in the year round scotland was that every bike we passed they all put there hands up to wave :thumbup: so big up to the scots for biker friendlyness :clap: :clap: :clap:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Yes, waving and nodding are alive and well north of the border. Well, most of the time anyway.
Rich.

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Alive and well in lincolnshire. 95% of riders acknowledge one another. Its only when you get near the busy bike meets that guys dont bother otherwise you would end up looking like Churchill oh yes yes yes. Why are so many peeps anti sports bike though! Not everyone that rides em are Richard, the SP is a sportsbike as well you know :lol: :lol: :lol: The sportsbike forums are however mainly frequented by Richard ....fact!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Mike.

Stopped to ask if he was alright and got a half-hearted nod. Timbo pulls up seconds later and asks same question..... then asks if the guy needs a hand (he was picking bits of bust fairing out of a ditch), only to be told "I just f*cking told you I'm alright didn't I ?"

I suspect his adrenalin pump was running flat out, he's just ruined his pride and joy (the bike!) and there is nowt else around............. so it's his fault.
I'd say he was not in a good mood so would forgive him; he's feelin' a complete ar$e right now. :crazy:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

I've noticed that most bikers nod/nod back but back in prehistoric times it was prevalent with the city couriers that passed each other while out of town. That and it seems that others are just equaslly pleased to be on two wheels. I have noticed that the 'young hotshots' don't know what its about and those BMW riders with open face lids and microphone stalks definitely don't bother. I never take it to heart of one doesn't reciprocate but I do think to myself "if yer gonna be that miserable get back in yer car".

Nod.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

AMCQ46 wrote:I think it is getting less common, but I still nod or wave even if they dont.....makes me feel like I am setting a good example. :wave:

I even nod at kids on their stepthru peds, they probably assume I am senile!
Or an old dude looking for a cheap piece of young a*s..hehe......in the last ten years or so when the Ducatisti (ie born again office upper managers) bought a £15k 1098s for their 1k miles a year chipolata extension for their sunday 20 minute rideouts (cos anymore and you have to get off) they have avoided the rituals of waving nodding, the same applies to the fully kitted BM W(ankers) with 200 litre aluminium boxes and 72 litre petrol tanks with full on endro Paris-Dakker clothing who go to waitrose for their copy of the Telegraph on a Sunday morning.....Biking has changed bikers who I mingle with have not, I dont feel the need for a chipolata extension although the missus may argue the point, but I say let the tossers be the tossers, you know who they are, I will carry on nodding as I feel the sharing of comorardery is important. Rant over, :beer:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Dont agree at all Sling, some of these so called tossers have worked there arses off for 30 years 60 hours a week and finally now they can take a little payback in the shape of a nice BMW or Ducati. These so called tossers get no benefits and pay sh1t loads of tax, its these tossers that are keeping the country's head above water........The tossers, if indeed there are any, ride R1's and GSXRs and have numberplates the size of a mobile phones and ride like they are being chased by the CSA for the sum of 50K ( and probably fookin are). Dont be jealous, talk to them, these 12K bikes will be in everyones price bracket at some point in there lives.

P.S I ride a Gixxer but only because I cant afford an 1198R Corse.

Rant over :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'