Hello everyone

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Growler

Hello everyone

Post by Growler »

Just a quick hello to all the members. I have just bought my first big bike a silver 1999 Firestorm which is now at the doctors being made well. Unfortunately there was more problems with the bike than i thought and its probably better left to the professionals to bring the bike back to a safe level
cheers

:thumbup: Growler
Keeping the Faith since 1977
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Pete.L »

:D Welcome Aboard :D

Growler! Ha! I had a girlfriend with a nice growler once....Er, should I ask how you came by your name? :eek2

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hiya :wave:

Welcome onboard. Sorry to hear your bike is poorly, but don't let it put you off, as soon as it is well again, you and your beast will be as one lol...

Enjoy the forum and when you a spare trillion hours, go over the posts,as there are tons to sift through. The knowledge base of these guys is second to none. :D

ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
vtrmarkone

Post by vtrmarkone »

Hi and welcome
Can you tell a bit more about your bike , just wondered how much you paid and whats wrong with it ?
Enjoy the forum its fab !
Mark
BEHAVE or i'll beat you like a ginger stepchild !!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome :D Enjoy :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome matey :worthless_thread_wo_pics:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome to the forum Growler :thumbup:

Chris.
Growler

Post by Growler »

vtrmarkone wrote:Hi and welcome
Can you tell a bit more about your bike , just wondered how much you paid and whats wrong with it ?
Enjoy the forum its fab !
Mark
Hi

I paid 1300 for it, the previous owner chucked in a pair of Micron end cans, front & Rear Paddock stand, Spare Clutch, Spare track wheels and tyres, battery charger and he MOT'd it for me, so all in all not too bad a deal. However the bike as been SORN for two years and it needs tidying up and i want the following done.
Brakes overhauled, new oil / filter, Air Filter, plugs/ all liquids / CCT replaced / Valve checked / New Chain and sprokets. Im hoping that the piston rings are ok but when i check the plugs the rear one was very oily.

The body work is ok but there are scratches and 12 years of use showing, but for my first bike it's ok.
Aprt from that everythings tickety-boo
Growler

Post by Growler »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome to the forum Growler :thumbup:

Chris.
Hi Chris

Thanks
Growler

Post by Growler »

Pete.L wrote::D Welcome Aboard :D

Growler! Ha! I had a girlfriend with a nice growler once....Er, should I ask how you came by your name? :eek2

Pete.l
I was going to use the moniker Grumpy but was reading up on the Firestorm and Growler just pooped into my head. :clap:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Growler wrote: its probably better left to the professionals to bring the bike back to a safe level
cheers

:thumbup: Growler

imo the worst thing you can do is take a bike to a dealer and say 'it's got something wrong with it' unless you tell them specifically what you want them to do.
cue ££ signs in mechanic's eyes!!
the black plug might just be from repeated attempts to start the bike after a long lay=up, might be nothing wrong with it - well, nothing a good run won't fix.

you will find almost every problem has been covered here somewhere!
might've got yourself a bargain there bud :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Growler wrote: Im hoping that the piston rings are ok but when i check the plugs the rear one was very oily.
A compression tester's only about twenty quid, you need one with the right size thread and a long reach. Draper's do one, I bought one and it's fine.
Otherwise ask at your local dealer how much they'll charge for just a comp check.

All the rest is home mechanic stuff, assuming you have tools and know what you're about.
Do your homework by searching in the Workshop Knowledgebase, and trust this forum over Haynes!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Growler

Post by Growler »

Hi Tony

I am ok with tools and do enjoy working on bikes, just out of practice so will be asking for lots of help.

cheers

Growler
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Best place to ask; TBH if you can break it someone on here's already broken it and fixed it again (mostly me, apparently :oops: )
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.