New APE Tensioners

General Bike chat
Mick B

New APE Tensioners

Post by Mick B »

My Storm has around 22,000 miles on the clock and runs perfect but the niggle is always there. Should I change the CCT. I have decided that this needs to be done for piece of mind .
The only issue is APE or Honda tensioners ?
Wicky

Re: New APE Tensioners

Post by Wicky »

The choice is yours - but at 35,000 my front CCT failed catastrophically without warning at 30mph :eek2 taking out the front valves. Mucho expense later guess my answer to your question. Still at the time of the rebuild I had standard tensioners fitted and I have APE ones ready to fit as soon as I find the time (48,000 and counting down....)

I hypothetically wonder if you had standard ones fitted at a Honda dealer if you asked them if they would give you any warrantee on milage before they implode - If not - then their answer helps answer your question.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

I am swinging towards the apes(like the pun) as they cant fail like the oem ones.Plus I wouldnt have the cost to repair if my engine failed .Its just the fitting and adjustment thing putting me off a little.I know I need to do something as I am dreaming about the buggers :crazy:
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Mick B, I went with APE and glad i did, it's not a particularly hard job if you follow the information that
Sirch345 and Pete L Put on the site and if you get stuck theres plenty of help available here....
also i ordered my cct's direct from ape and found the service very good.
hope this helps. Regards ChrisC
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Cheers Chris and all.

Decided to go with ape. Just found out though due to bloody volcanos I may wait a while for delivery from the states.

Just my luck.
TUG

Post by TUG »

This is starting to bug me as i can hear ticking coming from my engine but not sure on if its the Valves or CCT. The mileage reads 43K plus so i'm getting abit worried now.
fritz

Post by fritz »

ive got a spare oem one nockin about if you want it??

its one i took of the rear when i replaced both a couple of months back!!

rear last ok as they are always upside down and full of oil. the front goes wombles as condensation in the crank case rises and moisture starts to corrode the top of the spring which becomes devoid of oil!!

anyone who has had one fail will agree if they take the failed one apart, the top first loop of the spring is what fails!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

For those that want a cheap insurance policy, dont ignore the "stopper" mod, which makes the standard Honda part FAILSAFE.

It will work on your existing parts or you can buy new ones and do it on them, and you still have the benifit of the auto tensioner, so no setting & maintainence issues.

Cost............nothing if you have some basic engineering tools.............1.5mm punch, veriner to measure the length of stopper needed, bit of 8mm ally and a hacksaw.

The instructions are in the workshop knowledge base
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't go buying a 1.5mm punch if you haven't got one, a pop rivet works fine.

Me, tight? :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Just for anyone who's interested. My Ape tensioners arrived this morning from sunny Florida. These have arrived from Gary at overstock in the states. They have taken 4days from ordering to arrive. I was a little worried with all the no fly and volcano stuff going on. If Gary has them in stock he offers a fast quality service. They have arrived quicker than parts I've ordered in the UK at the same time. Very very happy :-)
now to fit them and sort my fuel issues out.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Nice one Mick, hope all goes well fitting them :thumbup:
ChrisC
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Cheers Chris

Fingers crossed I may have a go tomorrow. Once again thank you all for the quality advice.

I'd be knackered without it lol :-)
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Ok the Apes are done but have a slight squeak sound on start up. If anyone can read this post and advice on the way forward would be great.
I am using Mabsport on the Superhawk site :thumbup:

Link below

http://superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22253
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i think you might have overtensioned them bud - back off a turn and try it again until you get it right.
im left with approx 38mm of thread between the top nut and locknut.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

benny hedges wrote:i think you might have overtensioned them bud - back off a turn and try it again until you get it right.
im left with approx 38mm of thread between the top nut and locknut.
Is that from the top of the locknut to the top of the pinned nut. Mine are around 30mm roughly.I may need to have a bash tomorrow.So its best to back them off with the bike running and do you get plenty of warning so you don't go to far fella ?