Sensible tuning mods

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
robin1000

Sensible tuning mods

Post by robin1000 »

:twisted: So, you've seen my race bike in the gallery and I'm assuming that it's going to be quick and that it's had some engine work done. ASSUMING, you never know when you buy unless you pull it apart.
I've had the air filter box off and the filter has been removed, common?
It's running scorpion straight through race cans, loud and probably liberating a few extra horses.
What are the general mods done to Storms? I don't want a balls out race bike, just a quicker, more fun to ride, reasonably competetive race bike.
So, let the flood commence!!
:lol:
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

moriwaki pistons £600 ish
moriwaki cams £500-£600 ish
porting/gasflow £700 ish
dynamic balance £200
moriwaki carbs £1000

all of the above are just basic prices, so no labour or engine building/stripping.

or I could sell you a moriwaki engine, needs a strip and the shells checking but as it is, with moriwaki carbs for £1200, add £530 (£200 of which is labour) for a strip and rebuild and another £200 if you want it dynamically balanced.

Engine has done a total of 20k and the moriwaki conversion was done at 4,000 miles. it has moriwaki pistons, moriwaki cams, ported/gasflowed heads, vented crank cases, moriwaki carbs, moriwaki billet trumpets and a modified airbox. was dynoed in PB at 125rwhp as is - engine was from the anniversay one they did a write up on.

Del.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

15 tooth front sprocket :P
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:( This for the Moriwaki engine. Sounds great but out of my reach at the moment. The whole bike was only £1800, so £2k for an engine seems a little extravagant.
:D This is for the sprocket. Haven't actually checked teeth yet, pretty obvious really, so I'm going out to the garage now.

Cheers all
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

ok, but you ain't gonna notice a 15 tooth front sprocket when ya racing. I have a moriwaki in my VTR and it eats, SP1/2's, 916's, 996's bring em on.

Del. 8)
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

8) Cheers Del. When I'm more sure of my finances I will certainly think about the upgrade. 125hp, that's a huge increase over standard, how reliable is it, and how often do you have to rebuild?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

It's a revolution engine so as per a normal VTR, I would just suggest carb balancing often (every 2k) good oil (R4T) and change it when you should and don't rev it to the redline all d time. I have not heard of one letting go through an engine problems. Normally problems are due to neglect in the maintenance department i.e. cheap oil, riding with out of balance carbs all the time, over reving and down shifting too early. I have only done 3,5k on my engine and the rev limiter is set at 9,600rpm and I rev it to that all the time. did 100 miles at Brands last year in 5 sessions and bounced it off the limiter the whole day.

Del.
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

Followed Del's advice and posted the front forks to Roger Revolution for revalving and tuning. Absolutely magic :D Completely different bike now so positive :D Just saving up for new shock now :)
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:D Got a penske shock and the forks have been done by Dave Parkinson, so suspension shouldn't be a problem. Can't recommend Parky highly enough, did my Gixer forks as well, sheer excellence! :D
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

delmeekc wrote:was dynoed in PB at 125rwhp as is - engine was from the anniversay one they did a write up on.
Has anyone got a copy of that article? Cos the bike featured in it is now sitting in my garage (minus the moriwaki engine) :biggrin
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Hiya '996

I've got that article somewhere , I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Robin, is that the Dave from K-Tech ? Looks like one of their stickers , but cant tell.

How does the Go Star thing work ? I had a look on their site , and it said something about helping with sponsorship , so if that's the case could you get help from them to stick the Moriwaki engine in ?

Be nice to see a VTR stuffing other bikes on a regular basis :twisted:

Stu
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:P It's Dave Parkinson from Race Componenets in Southport, he's been involved with BSB and the like over the years.

GoStar is a not for profit team that gets sponsorship for all it's members, usually small percentages from large companies, so not much hope for the Moriwaki there.

I gave "The Beast" a run out at Brands on Wednesday and I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. Went out in the inter group and stayed out front all day. It looks good for the season!
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

f/s996 , did it arrive OK ?

Robin , what was the bike sold as ? ie trackday with new plastic , or a Racebike with loads of kit / receipts etc?

Had it ever raced before ?

Just being nosey , hope you do well on it, and have fun.

PS I had a look at the DP site , but couldn't see a " Twins " class 8O , do they run with something else ?

Cheers

Stu
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

8) Sold as a race bike. It was raced with DP last season and was third in the series.
There is a twins class, it runs in with the 750 class.
The bike is basically what it is, a Firestorm, which will always be a road bike on the track. It would take a fair bit of cash to make it very competitive against SP1's, 2's, Dukes and Milles, but I'm certain I can put in some good performances and make it look good!! (Modest, don't you think?)