Bit of advice plz

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Leachy

Bit of advice plz

Post by Leachy »

Got a '98 firestorm (i call her "VICKY") back in january '09,when i picked her up she had a few issues,tyres were shot, discs thin,steering head bearings gone,no meat on pads and no service history! Since then i've put some bridgestones battalax 021's on, new disc's and pads, changed standard head bearings to taper roller's, blown a reg/rec,fixed it (intend changing for a R1 reg/rec). However, and here is the problem, 2nd gear (i know VTR's are clunky) but this is diff the damn thing jumps out of gear!! and lurches!! Every other gear is fine,not a prob at all, i have read on this forum that there is a shimmed cush drive idea that limits the clunkyness but jumping and lurching i doubt will be solved with it. As you will notice i have not serviced it yet, although all service parts are here and ready, my concern is that i may service it but then have to do a repair which results in servicing again(having to drop new oil,etc.) OR do i service now and see how she is :crazy: She also sounds cammy, so do i do cct's as part of it? don't think it needs balancing but it has been suggested that have it checked, Anyway, welcome to my nightmare what do you think?
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
Stratman

Re: Bit of advice plz

Post by Stratman »

Sorry to say that if a previous owner had let your Vicky get into that state, she has been abused something rotten I'd say.

I am no gearbox expert, but jumping out of gear sounds like a fairly serious bit of work to remedy IMHO and I wouldn't do anything else before getting that problem resolved.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

coledog

Post by coledog »

IMHO it is because the prev. own. gave 2nd gear a hammering doing wheelies and if the steering head bearings were shot prob.from doing stoppies, if you got vicky for a real cheep price good onya but if not it is goin to cost you in the long run. Cheap bikes usually cost more in the long run than due to bad maint. Good luck :thumbdown:
Matt Black 04 model
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have an engine with a sound gearbox if you want to have a go yourself. The bearing's shot behind the clutch so you won't be able to just swap them over, but that might be your best plan if you can pick one up for a sensible amount.

One thought, keep your eyes open for one with a failed CCT, and simply swap your heads over.

Didn't I see someone on here with a bent valve/damaged piston/conrods?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I'd have to agree with coledog :S...

Mind you, if the previous owner came down from the wheelies too hard, it will have mashed the head bearings....

Which ties in with the other statement...

Good luck...
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

:D Well here's a quick update, just bought a pair of cct's and gaskets,cush drive rubbers and a gearbox so i'll keep you all posted how it all goes,lmao, lot of work but should be worth it, just locating the nessesary gaskets for gearbox replacement
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Good luck, got to agree with the advice given. Bikes dont just jump out of gear unless there is a problem. One bonus is that you will know Vicky inside out by the time you have finished.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I hope it all goes well. Do bring us up to date once you've finished it all,

Chris.