What a difference 1mm makes!

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

What a difference 1mm makes!

Post by AMCQ46 »

After a good thrash last week end I decided that I would have a fiddle with the suspension ride height, as I didnt feel like I had enough front end bias.

Over the winter I had fitted Roger D modified forks, and dropped them 3mm, and I had fitted a WP rear shock with the adjustable ride height 3mm longer than std [2:1 linkage means the back would be 6mm higher]. I was really please with the suspension feel, but the turn in was vauge and holding a line was a bit twitchy, and I needed to ensure I was well over the front to get the feel for the bends.

So, as I have adjustable ride height on the shock, I decided to experiment, and put 1 turn extra onto the ride height [looks like a 1mm pitch but I didnt measure it, so should be 2mm at the wheel], and went out for a play..............TRANSFORMED!!!!!!!

The turn in is precise, and it is easy to hold a smooth line . entry speeds higher, mid corner stability better, and then just nail it as the curve opens up.....it was magical, I didnt want to go home even though it was starting to rain!
I figure that the new forks ride higher in their stroke than the soggy old ones, and the new shock lower in its stroke compared to the over sprung Showa, so my original raising & lowering was not as significant as I thought it was.

Will try 1 more turn tomorrow to see if it gets better [or tank slaps]........so the moral of the story is .........have a fiddle :Stewy:[not like that you pervs] even if you have up rated your suspension. the bike responds to getting the geometry a bit sharper, and a bit more weight at the front.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Re: What a difference 1mm makes!

Post by AMCQ46 »

OK, further updates.

put 2/3 of a turn more on the ride height adjuster, but it is clearly more than a 2:1 ratio from shock length to rear wheel movement, as I could feel the bike much higher when I sat on it, and also the angle it leans over on the side stand was clearly changed.

Steering was faster again, but still stable in the turn and no slapping in aggressive riding [including landing a few wheelies], but was close when accelerating flat out in 3rd for an overtake and crossing the raised white lines at an angle with a bit of countersteer on the bars........So I think I will stop there.

If any one knows the correct ratio for the linkage, I can work out how much my 1 & 2/3 turns on the shock works out to, but the seat of the pants says its all good.
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like a result :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: If any one knows the correct ratio for the linkage, I can work out how much my 1 & 2/3 turns on the shock works out to, but the seat of the pants says its all good.
I would say it's slightly under 4mm (rear end rise) to every 1mm of spacer under the shock, or in your case lengthening the shock.

So your 3mm extra length on the shock will mean approx 11mm in rear end rise.

I found it's the small adjustments that count when setting up the suspension. I like you have a set of reworked forks by Roger Ditchfield, and oh boy can you tell the difference :thumbup:

Chris.
clack

Post by clack »

Good for you. I followed a suspension adjustment guide form a well known magazine on my old kwakker. The bike was transformer, turned like the tyres were razor thin, great composure in the corners twice as accurate, until you hit a bump at which point it the rear end would try and spit you out of the seat like a bronco. The front end just made your eyes water. A lot.

Still pays your money etc.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Shoved a 6mm spacer under the shock mount the other day, much better.
Turns in better, and I don't have my knees bent as much as it sits a bit taller, when I ride with my toes on the pegs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Tony,
Agree on the faster turn in, but I think the knees conclusion is psycological!

Surley the relationship between the pegs and the seat are fixed as they are both attached to the frame?

BUT

I also had my seat built up by 1/2 inch and that has helped the knees [good for us lanky gits who can touch teh ground with both feet and the ride height increased]
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, that psychological effect got me again.
Perhaps the footpeg rubbers just wore down a bit :oops:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

or you didnt put the seat back on properly :D
AMcQ