blade forks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jsheps

blade forks

Post by jsheps »

8O out of you lot that have fitted blade forks how do you do it what bits do you need and how much did it cost (i take it the forks are second hand if so any contacts for forks and bits would be great ta)

any help would be great ta jason :D
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Jason,

if you are doing it on a pre 2002 VTR then it's not too hard. 2002 and above you have to think about mounting HISS, different ignition barrel mounting and size etc. It can be done as I did one a few months ago.

First off you need to decide what forks you are going to put on (also depends on what you can get. 1997 balde forks are probably the best to use as 1998 balde ones are slightly shorter.

S/H Parts Needed.

1997 Forks, bottom yoke, top yoke (your ignition barrel needs to be drilled off the the underside of you existing yoke then it'll fit straight on), front wheel spindle and spacers.

New Stuff, a 1997 wheel spindle depending on the condition of the S/H one. A pair of spondon clipons, best to go the highest cos you can always lower them on the fork tubes. Some head bearings, change the whole bearings - normally fit tappered ones. A front mudguard, I normally use a T595 carbon one (can get em too) and use T595 mounting hardware to fit onto the fork legs.

I think that's it.

The biggest hurdle is getting a good straight set of 97 blade forks.

Also the forks will need altering, cheap option is a Hyperpro spring/oil kit or get then revalved and resprung by Roger/Tech 2000/setup engineering etc.

Del.
jsheps

wow lots of work

Post by jsheps »

cheers mate the bike is a 2002 model take it that means more work :(

i just cant stand the jelly like ride the forks give as standard ive been looking for blade forks on ebay etc, but not any out there at the moment i can get ducati 748/916 showa usd forks from a mate as ive seen one of the lads has done it already do you know about this at all any help would be great. ta jason

ps how much should i be looking at for sh blade forks
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Daz has done this, he's "stormsmasher".

On the 02 model you have to take 5mm off the bottom of the yoke where the ingition barrel bolts too. Then open the hole up for the barrel to fit through and then fit the HISS to the yoke. Wasn't too bad did it all by hand.

Del.
jsheps

lots of work

Post by jsheps »

:( lots of work my storm is my only mode of transport so it cant be of the road for long and i dont have the tools to do that type of work oh well maybe next year, but i do like the look of the duke forks but i expect there even more of a pain to fit (might chat to storm smasher).

ta for all the info ive printed it off for ref' ta jason.