2nd gear drags when engaging at high revs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Lucky13

2nd gear drags when engaging at high revs

Post by Lucky13 »

Hi all

Whilst changing from 1st to 2nd gear at mid to high revs, the gear feels like it drags it's dogs a little before engaging. I can feel it whirring just before it snicks/crunches in.

All other gears are fine, and at low to mid revs, 2nd is fine too. Is this an indicator of a gear on it's way out, or just that something needs adjusting. Or do all storms do that?

Hope someone can shed some light on it.
It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Mr_Rusty

Post by Mr_Rusty »

Mine is horrible on that change as well.

Sometimes I can get a nice smooth change but everything has to be just right, so I get the feeling its a common thing. Mind you I dont think I have ever had a Honda with a good change from 1st to 2nd.

Chris
Its a black '98 one
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Check chain tension. Storms are very noisy going from 1st to 2nd, the higherer the revs the worse the noise. Top tip: change up early to avoid the gearbox falling out noises.
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Cupasoop says change up into 2nd gear early :!:

You don't need to be riding it like an inline four, where you need to rev it hard to get it moving quickly before changing gear from 1st to 2nd, because you have plenty of torque at low rev's :!:

To answer your question yes they all do it :!:

Chris.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

It can help if you drop the gear lever a bit. Gives you a more positive change.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

They are all cr*p sounding on that change. I even knew of a guy who used to pull way in second all the time from a standstill to avoid 'that' noise!!!

What helps is a chain that is well adjusted, a change of oil and a cush drive that isn't worn/sloppy in the rear hub. The latter has a fairly large effect as large capacity 'V' twins knock 'em out and if you have over 10 thou on the clock and they have not been changed (or modified with plastic inserts to 'tighten' them up) then you''ll get a massive clunk. 8O
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Cheers guys. Seems I'm not alone in that one then. It must be what some manufacturers would call 'character' then.

I'm very used to my GSX1400 which is a monster for lowdown torque, therefor i'm probably overcooking it in 1st to compensate for the difference. I'll start shifting to 2nd early and using the torque there

Gear lever and cush rubbers are going onto the tinkering list now. :D
It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.