Losing clutch fluid

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yorkylancs

Losing clutch fluid

Post by yorkylancs »

Seem to be using a lot of clutch fluid lately,i am topping it up every couple of hundred miles.There are no leaks at either end,it must be going somewhere,any ideas? :D
kevg

Post by kevg »

somewhere in the middle.... DOH.

nah not sure mate, there only is the master cylinder, hose and slave cylinder at the bottom, i'd say it was the bottom and your getting expensive chain lube for free.
cheerz

kev
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Found it.Its been filling up the clutch release housing on the sprocket cover,it needs a new seal on the piston,where it pushes against the push rod.Cheers for your help kev,remind me to not dump clutch fluid on the racing line when im down your way!! :D
Wicky

Clutch release cylinder seal replacement

Post by Wicky »

My clutch has been niggling me for a while, needing frequent top-ups despite no obvious visible leaks. So before I start I'll get the part/s necessary for the job from DS

So obviously a new clutch piston seal (9)

Is anything else needed? - like the gasket (6)

any hints and tips for smoothly replacing the seal with minimum fuss?

yorkylancs wrote:Found it.Its been filling up the clutch release housing on the sprocket cover,it needs a new seal on the piston,where it pushes against the push rod.Cheers for your help kev,remind me to not dump clutch fluid on the racing line when im down your way!! :D
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Number 6 doesn't actually seal anything it just sorta sits there sandwiched in the middle, there's just fresh air on either side of it, I guess theoretically the only thing that could come out between the sprocket cover and clutch slave could be chain lube. I didn't bother replacing mine when I did my seal as it came off in one bit.

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Hi wicky,all you need to do to get at the seal is keep pumping the clutch lever,and keep the res topped up while you are doing it.Get ready with a rag coz as the piston drops out,so does the remaining fluid.Alternate way is to take the clutch line off,and the whole release cylinder,and blow the piston out with an air line.I didnt have one so did it other way.The seal is easy to replace,it sits in a little recess.The new one you should coat with clutch fluid,to help it slide back into the piston bore easily.Top trick is to fill the piston housing with fluid,before putting the piston in.It helps make bleeding it easier,cause as the piston pushes back in the bore it pushes fluid back up the line.assemble the unit onto the sprocket cover using a new gasket,part number 6.Now bleed as normal.Job done half an hour.13 quids worth of parts.....PS when pushing the piston back in make sure you push it squarely or you will damage your new seal,then it will leak again,and fill up the sprocket cover with grey gunk!! I used a g/clamp,good luck.Yorky..
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Thanks yorkylancs

The seal and gasket are ordered so with your encouraging tips I won't have to resort to using the honda hammer for the job

Cheers Wicky
bikermike1411

Post by bikermike1411 »

I'll take a number 6, two 34's with fried rice and a 12 on the side, with a can of diet coke please.

Sorry, thought we were at the chinese then..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perseverance takes too long....
John Head

Cluth gaskets

Post by John Head »

Just fitted new chain and sprockets which meant taking clutch off. I've got a 2002 model. Number 3 and 4 were non-existant. Just metal to metal. Should I be concerned? :?
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi John,

Think 3 is just a gasket, but don't know why as it's not retaining any fluid.

Number 4 is a spacer iirc to stop crank / sprocket fouling on the casing.

PM Mike FSM as above as he's one up for grabs and knowing him, won't want much for it :wink:

Graeme.
John Head

Post by John Head »

Thanks Graeme. It's not making any horrendous "contact" noises and there's no sign of wear, so it must be ok!