ENGINE SIEZED

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SKETTY

ENGINE SIEZED

Post by SKETTY »

HI ALL AM NEW TO THE SITE. ABOUT A MONTH AGO I CHECKED MY OIL AND IT NEEDED TOPPING UP A LITTLE. THEN FOR A FEW DAY IT SEEMED TO LEEK A BIT OF OIL FROM AROUND THE OIL FILTER AREA BUT ONLY WHEN RUNNING. I COULD NOT FIND WERE IT WAS COMING FROM THEN IT SEEMED TO STOP BUT OIL LEVEL WAS OK SO I NEVER THOUGHT ANY MORE OF IT. AT THE WEEKEND I TOOK A TRIP DOWN TO LEICESTER TO VICTORIA PUB IN COALVIL BUT ON WAY BACK ON M1 IT LOST ALL POWER AS THOUGH RUNNING OUT OF PETROL SO I PULLED ONTO HARD SHOULDER. TRIED STARTING HER BUT JUST CLICKED SO TRIED BUMPING HER TO NO AVAIL BACK WHEEL WAS LOCKING UP EVEN IN 6th GEAR. AA TOOK ME HOME AND IT TURNED OUT ENGINE WAS DRY SO MUST HAVE LOST IT WHILE OUT THAT DAY AND I THINK ENGINE IS SIEZED. IS THERE ANY EASY WAY OF CHECKING IF IT HAS.
IT IS A 2002 VTR1000 FIRESTORM WITH K&N FILTER DYNO JETTED AND ART CANS. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE OIL UNTIL LAST MONTH SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS THEY WOULD BE MUCH APPRIECIATED.
IF IT IS SIEZED HOW MUCH TO GET IT SORTED OR WOULD I BE BETTER GETTING A NEW ENGINE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
SKETTY
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :!: :D
Sorry too hear about your problems.

Didn't the oil light come on if you were running low on oil :?:

IMO if the crank has seized, sourcing another 2nd hand engine will be your best bet :!:

HTH,

Chris.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

First things first take the spark plugs out and get some oil in to the bores leave the plugs out for now. Then if you take the inspection plug out of the left hand case (alternator side) the one in the middle and use a 17mill socket the bolt is connected to the end of the crank try turning the engine over anti clockwise with it out of gear if it dose not turn over easy then its probably seized if its hard to turn it may be partially seized it should turn over smoothly.
If it dose then the may be a fault with the gear box
Any way if it won’t turn over or there’s a fault with the gearbox its easier and cheaper to change the engine as a gasket set is around £160 then you’d have any parts you’d need on top of that and labour
I got a complete second hand engine of ebay for just over £200 at the beginning of the year. you just have to keep an eye out

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news hope it’s something less serious :cry:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
warby221

Post by warby221 »

ps could this be moved to the workshop section by a mod
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
SKETTY

Post by SKETTY »

THANKS FOR REPLYING. NO OIL LIGHT DIDNT COME ON. I WILL TRY THE THING WITH THE CRANK IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING.
rob1n

Engine siezed

Post by rob1n »

Hi Sketty, how did you get on?

This sounds a bit like what I have now got, mine is leaking behind the starter motor,i did think it was the oil filter but, i've seen it drip above here when the engine was hot, I think the oil seal on the starter motor is going or gone, this sprays oil behind the starter which drips down and makes you think the leak is from the oil filter (Does this make sense)?

Hopefully yours is not siezed & this is where your oil leak is from, might give you an idea where to look at least.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Robin.
SKETTY

Post by SKETTY »

tried the thing with the crank it didnt move seemed jammed but then the bolt came undone so think its siezed.

still cant find were the oil came from would be easier if the thing would start