COLD STARTS

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SKID

COLD STARTS

Post by SKID »

I have been having real problems getting my Storm fired up lately.I know it was cold last night (-3) but it isnt the first time ive got up for work to have this problem.I recently sold my XJR1200 which started every time without fail so this is realy starting to wind me up.Is this a thing a lot of you experience or have i bought a dog? :evil:
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

I used to have the occasional problem with cold starting. Then i bought an optimate and got into the habit of putting the bike on charge every night. NO problems with starting in the morning, until the day the carb to the front pot gave up the ghost and i ended up with a 500cc single :(

Robb
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Skid,
Nah It's just a big V twin. I use mine all winter and I get the same problem. It can be a sign of a weak battery,the optimate a good idea. What I find also helps is to press the starter button and let the engine turn over before pulling out the choke. Sometimes with the choke out first my engine doesn't even turn over.Make sure your using the right grade of oil that can make a big differance especially if you are using too thick a grade and keep your plugs clean they tend to soot up in the really cold weather if your just slugging around on slippy salty roads and not giving it a good run.
If any one out there has tried a different grade plug (hotter running) write in as this cured all my winter problems on my old RF 900 but dont want to risk holing a piston trying it on my own.
Cheers all
Pete.l
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

Nice one Pete.L
i read what you had to say about starting the vtr with the choke in at first as i have also been having problems getting the bloody thing to start. The bike was last started last weekend but doing as you said she fired up after only a couple of turns so cheers mate :D
Paul
SKID

Post by SKID »

Cheers Pete,i tried out the choke thing this morning and it started alot better. :D