Unifilter / Modifying your OEM airfilter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

For any of you that give a damn (which should be all of you), there IS an alternative to the stock Honda airfilter or those expensive (and maybe overrated) K&N filters.
After having a Unifilter on my VFR, which was very easy to maintain and gave better airflow than the OEM airfilter, I was going to buy one for my VTR. Alas! Uni don't make 'em. Yet. So, I wasn't going to pay $NZ115 for a paper "Hi Flow" (whatever the fook that is), or $NZ330 for a K&N (Eeeek!), so I ordered some Unifilter filter foam, and contacted Uni for some details. Easy-peasy. Just carefully cut out the paper elephant from the Honda filter, cut some filter foam to fit, and stick it in using silicon adhesive or similar. Le Voila! (The Violin!) a homemade Unifilter. Then just spray it with filter oil, squeeze out the excess, reinstall the filter in the housing, and you're good to go. Cost? $NZ35, and that was with enough foam to make at least 4 filters.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Oh yeah - I haven't got the photos of this yet, but I'll post 'em after this weekend. :)
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

I run a Uni filter on my XR and it seems to do a great job. Just keep your eye on it after re-oiling as sometimes the oil can run out of the filter and collect in the airbox, depending on the oil you use and how you do it.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

I used Spectro Foam Filter oil - it's an aerosol 'oil' specially designed for applications like this. It's a pretty blue colour, and VERY tacky once it's dried out for about 20 minutes, so there's no show of it leaking into the airbox, or of any dirt evading its sticky grip. :wink:
- Ian in EnZed