HELP!!! Rear Brake Lever Bent

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
silverbullit

HELP!!! Rear Brake Lever Bent

Post by silverbullit »

Hey all. I'm a new member here hailling from SoCAL USA. I've been reading the discussions for a while, but just signed up today.

Anyhow, I just dropped my Superhawk on it's right side and have bent my brake lever. I've ordered a replacement lever and am trying to install it, but have stumbled across an interesting issue. My service manual calls out for the swing-arm pivot bolt, nut, and collars to be removed. I personally think it's ridiculous to have to remove all this just to get the rear brake lever out.

Anybody know of or have any ideas how to get the lever out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I took mine off without removing the swing-arm,
'scuse me a minute while I search back through my addled brain for a memory . . . . .
Any memory would be good . . . .
Come on brain . . . . . .

OK, I think I unbolted the rear brake caliper from the footrest

I THINK I undid the bottom mount bolt and loosened the swing-arm bolt

This let me get to the back of the footrest assembly so I could reach the brake lever pivot and remove the circlip (?) holding it on (maybe)

Then, having already unbolted the master cylinder you can undo it from the brake lever itself

It was 18 months ago so please excuse my ropey memory!!

If the lever's not too bent you can heat it and GENTLY bend it straight again (mine's lasted fine so far)

Ben