Judder while braking ??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Judder while braking ??

Post by RQ »

Back roads, enjoying the twisties etc........ corner onto a straight..........farmer............. tractor....... slow......... grabbing handfulls of the levers to try and stop before ploughing into the back of him and there was this odd shake in the steering.
I found myself a smooth bit of road and hammered on the anchors to see what would happen, same, a little shake more forwards and backwards than left to right. No shakes under normal braking, only on the 'urgent' stuff. So here comes the question.... how do I know whether it is a problem with suspension or a problem with the head bearing without dismanteling the bike ??!!?? (Bearing in mind that the car is off the road at the moment, and the storm is my only mode of transport !!)
Ronan.
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

Ronan
I have recently had a similar problem with my 'Storm. I bought a 2nd hand pair of cast iron disks, and under certain braking conditions - usually prolonged braking at high speeds - I got the judder you describe. I guessed that it was either a warp getting more pronounced with heat build-up, or some problem with the disk float. I rulled out loose head bearings by raising the front and trying to move the forks back and forth.

I replaced the disks with a new set of PFM Supersport disks, and the problem was cured, and braking was much improved over standard. They cost just under £300 for the pair.

Matt
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Just did Essexblokes bike and he had new wavey front disks and pads and a wavey rear fitted with new pads. Total would have been just under £350 but he had chain and sprockets too and a rear shock spacer. (That included fitting, cleaning caliper pistons etc and.)

We had to pop out for some bits and he was well impressed with the fronts (hadn't done the rear at the time) and they aren't even bedded in. He had the brake wobble/shudder etc, all gone now.

Del.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks guys,

I'll try checking the bearings by raising it, and I know the disks are a bit out, but never thought it would create such a reaction when braking ! At least it may not be expensive !!

RQ.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Have you got standard forks?
Sounds like it could be bottoming out as its only during extra hard braking, not in normal use
Just a thought

Ben
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

See del's post above.......

mine juddering was that bad, the fillings were coming loose..........

full set of new disc's/pads later.........not a thing......... :D
nobbyk

Post by nobbyk »

I think it may be forks too! You will get some patter off the road surface when braking, and, if the forks are at the bottom of their travel it will tranfer that straight up the fork and on too the bars.

Sometime ago, I changed my fork set up to match P/Bikes settings. Whilst I did not have to much of a problem with braking, the front end was much more stable under accelerating and braking. I'd check the tyre pressures too. Every little bit makes a difference when pushed to the limit!

Regards

Nob
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks for the responses !

I have standard forks, and now for the really stupid question :oops: , how do I stop them bottoming out !! I'm guessing it has to do with the adjustment at the tops of the forks, but which way, and how much ! Sorry, of all things, suspension is not my speciality !

RQ.
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

Adding preload will help. The preload adjusters are the cylindrical raised parts with evenly spaced rings running down them, and they have a damping adjuster screw in the middle.

Winding them in, so there are less grooves visible, will mean that it takes more force to bottom the forks out. A recent Performance Bikes suspension guide suggested that having anything from ring two (from the top) to fully wound in is suitable for fast road/track riding. The damping should be 1/4 turn from full in.

The standard forks are renowned for being crap - too soft. My own forks were rebuilt by Maxton Engineering for £210 making a huge improvement, and I gather that the guys at Revolution Racing can transform pretty much any aspect of the 'Storm.
nobbyk

Post by nobbyk »

Hi RQ

As I said before, the PB settings are a good start before you go spending money, they almost make a silk purse from a sow's ear, well, you know what I mean.

I have no doubt someone on this site has the settings or can give you a site addy to get them. mine were lost by my wonderfull Ninja lovin bastid bruvver! soz mate.

regards

nob
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
Martin

Susp settings

Post by Martin »

shamelessly taken from the PB suspension setup supplement:

Rear Shock: Preload - Road position 2
Track position 3

Rebound - 1/4 turn from FULL IN

Front Forks: Preload - Road groove 2
Track FULL IN

Rebound - 1/4 turn OUT from FULL IN.

Hope this helps.

Martin
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks loads guys ! I'll try those settings over the weekend and I'll post up how I get on !

RQ.
nobbyk

Post by nobbyk »

Martin

I thight the rear preload was actually 1 from 2. I could be wrong!! It's a bleedin hard spring as standard.

Nob
Martin

Post by Martin »

:lol: I haven't got a clue when it comes to suspension etc....I've been riding round with a shagged headrace for the past few weeks and didn't really notice!!!! (can tell now it's fixed though!) Just copied out what the wee book said, but don't know where I've put it now so can't check!
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
nobbyk

Post by nobbyk »

Martin

When I lived in Crawley Down village(not far from you) I couldn't find a bleedin Storm rider to rideout with for love nor money.
I moved up here in July and now you all come out of the bloody woodwork !

Cheers

Nob