Clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Clutch

Post by tony.mon »

Clutch probs on 97 storm:
You can pull away at normal road launches without probs, but when going for it and adding lots of throttle the clutch just makes a graunching noise and locks.

Basically if you dial some throttle in and then launch it's ok, but if you add more throttle as the clutch bites it just locks solid.

No slip anywhere, though.

Makes for interesting wheelies, and mostly doesn't bother me, but is a pain in the butt when running on a drag strip. (yeah, I took it up the strip at the Bulldog). 11.6, 122 terminal.
Hoping for a sub 11 when the clutch behaves.

Tried replacing both clutch bearings, the easy little outer one and the b*stard centre basket one. No difference.

Could go for an uprated clutch set, but has anyone any ideas? :roll:
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

What ever happened to hello?

Check the clutch basket for little notches worn in it by the plates. Causes the plates to stick a little and can be filed down i believe.
Rich.

lee67

Post by lee67 »

as above, also swop the front 3 plates with the back 3....fit barnett springs...and bobs yer uncle :wink: ..and if that dont work..its knackered
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

lee67 wrote:as above, also swop the front 3 plates with the back 3....fit barnett springs...and bobs yer uncle :wink: ..and if that dont work..its knackered
no i aint 8O
lee67

Post by lee67 »

haha :roll:
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

The above suggestions have been mentioned before to myself and i am sure firestormben has solved his graunchy clutch this way.

I have exactly the same issue on my storm but like u it doesnt bother me most of the time although i would like to sort it out at some point in the not to distant future.

you are not alone :)

John'o
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

John'o is right

I fitted EBC clutch springs from Demon Tweaks (£8)
Carefully filed the clutch tangs (werent obviously notchy but did it anyway)

Clutch problem all but cured
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

[quote="cupasoop"]What ever happened to hello?

quote]

Sorry 'bout that, Wrote the post when I had just stripped and rebuilt the clutch for fifth time!

Thanks for all the suggestions, thought I'd fixed it when I found that the previous owner hadn't set the outermost clutch plate in the slots in the clutch centre casting....

I'll try the Barnett springs and plate swap over Christmas and let you know.