Fill Her Up....AGAIN

General Bike chat
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

cheers guys am feeling slightly better about the whole thing now....i will persevere for a while longer and see how i feel.....i would only normally stop to fuel anyway and have a fag/coffee/piss break about then, so will have to get used to stopping earlier than normal, and riding a twin is different and suppose am not used to it as yet....on the up side she is a looker.. :D
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

I was actually thinking of getting a top box :oops: cause if i use the bike to go too and from work i need to transport Laptop, clothes, boots etc.... and i also use my bikes for some touring, this would also give her something to lean against, also is there something i can put on the seat to stop her slipping forward???....and if i did make taking her onthe back a regular thing again what suspension settings would every one recommend am about 14 stone kitted out and she must be about the same....am still finding the suspension a little on the soft side, and finding she doesnt turn as quick as she could..

Cheers :D
rattler

Post by rattler »

You did test one before you bought one didn't you??

Absolutely stick with it though and eventually you'll think of all the things you dislike about it as "character" instead. I wouldn't change mine for anything - unless Honda san start producing a self cleaning version that is.
JonVTR

Post by JonVTR »

I thought i ran my tank dry yesterday and all i got in it was £12.50.

I went pillion on my brothers firestorm to grimsby from norwich to collect my new bike (about 150 miles).

It was easily as comfy as his old fazer i went on.

You buy a V-twin 1000cc bike and know it isnt going to be fantastic on fuel.
1997 VTR1000F
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

rattler wrote:You did test one before you bought one didn't you??

Absolutely stick with it though and eventually you'll think of all the things you dislike about it as "character" instead. I wouldn't change mine for anything - unless Honda san start producing a self cleaning version that is.

I did test it before i bought it....although a 30min run doest equate to normal every day use....And i do actually really like it, just hate fueling the thing up evey 5mins, am gonna do the run her dry thing see what i get from a tank so i know when the RLOD comes on i have X amount of miles left.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Kitch wrote: Ben has said before that the stated 16ltr (older model tank) only actually holds more like 14ltr, so it really is tiny.
<wayne>

I never

You did

I never

<off>

I ran mine totally dry and got 15.2 litres in it
And got 154 miles from it which equates to 46mpg which is more than good enough

This was with a pipercross fitted but before I had the jetting done
It pulled well but there was a flat spot in the midrange (partly a pipercross trait, partly a fuelling issue)

And before anyone starts with the 'you must have been riding like a pansy' bit, no I wasnt!

It was a standard sunday rideout for the first 140 miles
The last 15 miles consisted of a 100mph+ blast up a (closed course) dual carriageway slightly uphill followed by a 40mph slightly downhill run through the high street (petrol station at bottom -I'm not daft!! 8) )
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

Ok so you weren't riding like a pansy......maybe just a girl then...lol
154 miles, was it running on one cylinder?? that seem alot for such a small tank...and two dirty great pistons. 8O
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Mike,

Before I fitted the pipercross it was running rich

With the pipercross in it was a bit lean, especially in the midrange

Jetting perked it up considerably at the expense of a little bit of tank range (maybe 10 miles less)

See this thread for more info
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8415

And here's the dyno graph
Red is just pipercross & Remus road legals
Purple is pipercross + Remus + Rogers jetting session
Yellow is mate with K&N, Art race cans

I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

Kitch wrote:How much more than 100 miles do you do before stopping for a fag / walk / wee anyway?
well thats true i always need to decramp my knees lol and get rid of the cramp in the wrists o and have a ciggy :D
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

stuav007 wrote: I did test it before i bought it....although a 30min run doest equate to normal every day use....And i do actually really like it,
i had a fair idea about buying mine i went a looked at it first but was snowing so i went back a week later and i took it for a run 10 mins tops i just wanted to see if i liked it :D wow i thought and i bought it and i have had it 2 months now and its great, iam gona be sad to part with it when i move later this year :(
iam hungry!!!!!
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

stuav007 wrote:am still finding the suspension a little on the soft side, and finding she doesnt turn as quick as she could..
I came from a Blade to the Storm & they certainly turn a lot slower, however after a couple of rides I found we were starting to gell, change in body position etc. But the other day I fitted a 6mm spacer & now it's all gone to pot again, it ceratinly turns in quicker but doesn't feel as nice in a straight line, not sure which I prefer. But 'think' I'm going back to standard or use a 4mm spacer to try that.

Alan...
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

stuav007 am still finding the suspension a little on the soft side, and finding she doesnt turn as quick as she could..
well iam finding my suspension a little stiff to be honest iam 16 stone and 5ft9 iam stocky and i have the suspension set to the lowest setting at the moment, the front end is fine, but the rear spring is on its weakest setting and its still a little hard for me i think it will ride better 2's up (ill find out when my misses flys over) iam not sure but the dealer i got it from said it might have had the spring changed for a stiffer one but not sure
iam hungry!!!!!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

stuav007 wrote:...RLOD comes on at about 80-90 miles with various driving styles, am seriously pissed off...
You want economy? Buy a scooter. You want that extra few miles out of your Storm? Fill up with the bowser to the right of it, leaning it on your leg between the brake & foot peg to stand it up straight. For hard riding, the fuel light on my old Storm (with the smaller tank) kicked in around 180-200km. I use a fuel additive & racing oils from http://www.pmlubricants.com.au/.
stuav007 wrote:...Also it pretty crap 2up as i found out the other night when i took "her indoors" out for a blast, she hated it and wished i still had my Fazer1000...
I ride two-up almost as often as I ride alone. Only ever had the occasional complaint from huge pillions... You want luxury? Buy an ST. Alternatively, ride faster. The VTR is not a cruiser, although I regularly do trips of around 1000km in a day & have no problem.
stuav007 wrote:...i would only normally stop to fuel anyway and have a fag/coffee/piss break about then...
So what are you whinging about? :roll:
stuav007 wrote:I was actually thinking of getting a top box...
I thought you said "she was a looker"? Now you're gunna go & wreck it! I will never understand why people do this. I have used a tank bag for years with never a scratch (put one of those non-slip place-mat thingies under it). And for more space, I have a bag that straps to the pillion seat. Can't be removed without the seat being taken off, so can't be pinched & heaps of space without altering the bike.
stuav007 wrote:...also is there something i can put on the seat to stop her slipping forward?...
Try velcro. Alternatively, I get my pillions to put their arms around me & lean on the tank unless we're just cruising. Much more comfortable for them & actually helps with speeding up quickly as well as hard breaking. Can be a tad hard on the elbows if you're breaking hard for a long time, ie, going down a mountain or something. Otherwise brilliant. Give it a try.
stuav007 wrote:Ok so you weren't riding like a pansy ... maybe just a girl then...
I know three girls who ride Storms (including myself). Two of us regularly outride 95% of the fellas, no matter what they're on, SPs, R1s & Busas included. There is nothing like pulling up at a popular bike stop or servo & hearing some jackass on his whizz bang bike getting bagged by his mates because he's been beaten by a girl on a Storm. Guarantee he'll be stumbling over the excuses about his tyres, or suspension or whatever else he can think of. It comes down to the rider, not the bike.

So Nerrr :P
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?