Just bought an SP1.... Set face to grin.....

General Biker Banter
BigVeeGrin

Re: Just bought an SP1.... Set face to grin.....

Post by BigVeeGrin »

nice one - read on here that you must experience an SP in your life so hope it's a gas. :thumbup:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

FirestormMike wrote:
SlingVTR wrote:2.7k Id say thats a great price, the only thing Id change is the injection system from the sp2 to the sp1, I have asked a few people some say it can be done some say no, but this is the place to ask so can it be done? :confused I have ridden an sp1 on quite a few occasions and its a real on/off jerky thing at low speeds, quite unnerving actually in the winter. Well done Im jealous, for a frog and a conker more than a top firestorm costs you have a tool mate and I aint talkin rock :lol: :lol:

I rode my SP (now JBrebels) through one and a half winters with no problems at all. That was in standard trim, no power commander etc. Instead of the expense of fitting SP2 injection, just buy an SP2 in the first place. It's all down to throttle and clutch control.
*Edit* What I mean by that, is that you just get used to riding it, and it's quirks. Not having a dig at the previous post, I just think that if I was going to spend the money it would cost to put SP2 injection on, I'd be better off just part-exing the bike.

Tony, looks like you got a great deal mate. I think SP's have now reached about as low price as they'll ever be, and pretty soon they'll be appreciating in value again. Speaking to a dealer I know, he said the SP1's are becoming more sought after than SP2's, with people ringing up to ask if there's any in stock !
Who knows, if my hospital treatment goes well over this winter, I might be in the market for another one myself. :top:

Dont agree Mike. I have now had over 25 calls and counting for my SP2 (book price trade in £4800 and I was asking £5495, 13600 miles and bald tyres) , I wish I had put mine up for £6K now :lol: Plus its alledgedly the wrong time to sell :biggrin
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

FirestormMike wrote:A power commander will certainly smooth it out, it's one of the mods that most SP1 owners make.
I was quite happy with mine in standard trim though, yeah it could be snatchy, but not so much that it made me think about parting with £300 or so to change it.
Got to agree, the SP2 is not much better although it is a tad smoother, if i still had it the PC would be fitted, it is the only way to truly set your bike up with the best power curve, they set them up in accordance with stringent emission guidelines, the PC is a good buy regardless of the snatchy fuelling (just my opinion). The KTM RC8 8O , trying to keep a smooth throttle is a complete nightmare. I watch my friend pogo up and down 30 mph limits on a regular basis :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

TWO more days to go Tony :clap:
Bet time is standing still :crazy:
Run it for a bit on std fueling and see how you get on. The SP1 responds to a power commander better than the SP2 but it still wont cure the snatchiness if you go over a bump and tweek the throttle. It's just got so much torque it tries to leap forward with every quiver of your wrist.
The power commander will however make it acccellerate like a ballistic missile, it just revs faster and faster :thumbup: the more the revs climb the faster they want to climb :twisted: or, if you can drive it sensibly it'll give you mid 40s mpg and 140+ to the tank.
Either way in which ever format, it's a lovely thing to ride, enjoy Bud :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yep they are both cracking bikes, I certainly enjoyed my time as an owner.
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Pete - it gets collected on Wednesday but I wont see it until Saturday.... :cry: Your advice is exactly the same as my mate who is the head mechanic in the local dealer - he suggested exactly the same thing!! He reckons that I wont need a Power Commander.

All paid for this morning, courier booked..... 5 more sleeps... :D
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Saturday...that's even further away! :D
Bet it snows :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Nooooo.... it probably will snow....
grclarke

Post by grclarke »

Mr. Fones! Let's hope the old owner hasn't left a big poo in the petrol tank as revenge for taking that final couple of hundred quid off the asking price :think:

You'll soon be developing the SP waddle - it resembles the way John Wayne would have walked when half cut (and "No" I'll not be offering to massage your cheeks for you; I'll be busy rubbing my own)
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

The guy was from Scotland - its the law to haggle!! :D Mr Clarke... Maybe it was a lump of the brown stuff that killed your CBR the year before last... :D

I've got a pillow to strap to my ar$e ready for riding it at the weekend = subject to no snow!!

I reckon we should do the NW200 on the SP's next year though!! Consider it a penance....
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

3 more sleeps... :D
Insurance was interesting.... :x Mine runs out in May and I have my Trip and Storm on it.. Storm has gone to replaced by SP1 and it was an extra £100 premium!!
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

ah the pleasures of group 17....... :Ball Kick:
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

tonyf wrote:3 more sleeps... :D
Insurance was interesting.... :x Mine runs out in May and I have my Trip and Storm on it.. Storm has gone to replaced by SP1 and it was an extra £100 premium!!
8O seems a bit pricey that mate, my sp costs £102 fully comp, protected ncb, breakdown cover
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

I thought it was high too - now its insured I'll take a look round.

This was with MCD on an Aviva policy.
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

:D The courier will be delivering it TODAY!! Top man and no more sleeps... Unfortunately, I wont get to see it until Friday pm...