Oil Usage ?

General Biker Banter
pariah

Oil Usage ?

Post by pariah »

I noticed the other day my oil level was a liltte low. I bought a litre to top it back up to the upper level.
Today I checked the level and it seems to have gone down slightly. I have looked every where to see if there any leaks any where, but none visable.
I,m now concerned that some thing could be wrong ?

Bike runs fine and no signs of smoke from exhausts, shes only done around the 14000 mark. I must addmitt that now I have got used to her, I tend to ride that much faster and harder.

Is this normal for a storm, as I,ve had the bike for a year now and never noticed this before.

Any ideas chaps . :?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would just keep on eye on it. Providing it's not dropped down past the bottom level mark you'll more than likely find it stays at a level in between the two marks :!: Not very likely it's anything to worry about :!:

Chris.

PS. I think some peeps have said using cheap oil can make the VTR use it.
pariah

Post by pariah »

I replaced the oil filter and oil before putting back on the road. Used a gen Honda filter and motul oil as recommended .
hence sticker on lower faiting :lol:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

In over 2k miles since i got my firestorm it's been topped up once,and needed very very little :!:
When i bought my Triumph 1000 ,it used a bit of oil,i mentioned this to a bike mechanic ,who advised me not to use fully synthetic, as it burns away very quickly.
I took his advice and put semi-synthetic in it and everything was fine :!:
Drac

Post by Drac »

Ive noticed the bike and oil level indicator are VERY sensetive to level of ground.

side stand it looks empty. slight backwards incline same.

flat and level and all is ok.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

My Firestorm (from new) would use about 150 ml during a hard ride (say 200 miles or so). Hardly used any when used just locally.

SP uses hardly any - but again it uses some on a long hard run.

Unless you start seeing oil where it shouldn't be or clouds of smoke then I'd treat it as normal.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.