tax disc holder where the hell to put it ..

General Bike chat
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Theft of tax discs is a problem try a photocopy on the bike and the real one in your wallet.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Right.
Colour photocopy & laminated to save water ingress. Good ideas coming out of this thread :)
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan wrote:Right.
Colour photocopy & laminated to save water ingress. Good ideas coming out of this thread :)
I thought the same thing :D Well done guy's :!:

You've done a nice job with your Royal Enfield Chris (LSM). It's surprising how different (read as better imo) it now looks :D

Chris.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

going to try and mount it under the seat area i think. My sis is a coper and she did a bit of reading the small print, supposedly it is an actual offical offence under RT Act ' failure to display', but it would have to be an over zealous cop who would do you for it .. and in any case if your disc is nicked the dvla are supposed to accept a police crime reference number report in order to refund / issue you with a replacement tax disc ...
Its not that i dont believe her :lol: but im always a bit sceptical of these sort of 'assurances' ..
Anybody actually gone and done this ??
btw, laminating great idea ..
G
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

ive always had my disc holder on the top bolt,left side of front mudguard.apparently the disc has to be displayed on the left hand side of the bike forward of the rider! :D
ImageImageImageImage
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

tony.wilde1 wrote:ive always had my disc holder on the top bolt,left side of front mudguard.apparently the disc has to be displayed on the left hand side of the bike forward of the rider! :D
That's Correct Tony.
If you want to be totally legal the Tax disc should be displayed on the front nearside of the vehicle.
Oh and if you get (or make :wink: )an assy Copper you can also get a fixed penalty fine for failure to display.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

the photocopy idea is great...so simple i dont know why we didnt think of that one earlier!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Timbo wrote:The photocopy thing is surely illegal as it is not the original disc and therefore a counterfeit
I think thats true. It seems a good idea in principal but you could run the risk of getting nicked for it.

Like Ive already said, I don't and won't bother anymore. I think its a £60 fine for not displaying. But, as far as im aware, you get 16 days to appeal after you receive a notice of a traffic warden/copper.

If thats the case Ive got my tax disc at home nice and dry anyway, and I'll take it to the correct authority to clear the issue up :)
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Lot of good points about my photocopy idea. First off road tax offences are not a police issue all we do is report you to the DVLA it is then up to them to make a decision on prosecution. If it was reported to them that you were displaying a photocopy for security reasons I think it most unlikely they would prosecute you if you had a valid tax disc. Yes any police officer can check via PNC if the vehicle is taxed however this is not always accurate as it takes time to get it on the system. As a police officer if you check a vehicles visible tax disc you are generally checking the whole vehicle and you are more likely to do that if the disc is missing. You arn't going to unscrew the holder to see if it is a photocopy. OK it probably isn't strictly legal but I can't see you getting nicked if you are taxed. Oh and it costs £7 to replace a stolen disc now. Hence............MPP
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Bonart

Post by Bonart »

tony.wilde1 wrote:ive always had my disc holder on the top bolt,left side of front mudguard.apparently the disc has to be displayed on the left hand side of the bike forward of the rider! :D
Totally agree with Tony. I have mine on the rear fender bolt pushed up as far as it will go towards the fron cylinder. this way I'm totally legal with the "jobsworth" traffic wardens and when the bike is on the stering lock you can't see it. :D
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

mines on the frame mounting on the left handside in the crash bung hole
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!