Super chips

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
blackstorm

Super chips

Post by blackstorm »

Hi all,
As the wheather has sturned sour over the last week :cry: I couldnt resist fiddling with my bike :roll: . Ive got a Superchips unit fitted to my storm which was there when I bought the bike. Havent got a clue what its supposed to do or how it does it :?: but I couldnt resist taking the unit to pieces ( because Im a nosy tw@ ) and now that Ive seen inside I'm intrigued. There are 6 different coulored LEDs a small circuit board and a 5 pin socket inside an ally casing. I cant seem to find anything on the web apart from info on large cc diesel cars :cry: . Can anyone tell me about the unit Ive got or suggest who I should contact to get some info on it. Ive got no idea about who fitted it or where it was purchased from but it would be nice to know what makes my bike go.
All the best
Phil :wink:
sproutout

Post by sproutout »

Blackstorm - here's the website you were after for the Superchips.. not loads of info on it though but its a place to start

http://www.superchips.co.uk/bikes
Too much ambition results in promotion to a job you cant do!!!
speedfreek

Superchips

Post by speedfreek »

Have you had your bike Dyno'ed since you had the superchips
put in?

I'd be curious to see if it actually makes a difference. I visited the
site and they appear to have products for the Blackbird also.

I'd probably throw one in my 'Bird and 'Hawk if they actually work.

Judging from the dyno charts I've seen posted for modified VTR's,
the bike can generally pull about 109 HP if tuned properly.

I'd like to get my Hawk up to those numbers :D

8) TJ 8)
Life has a 100% mortality rate, and there ain't no cure.. LIVE IT UP! ... and yes, I'm 100% red blooded American infidel!
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Thanks for your help sprout I'l try giving one of the numbers a call.
Speed Freak, this is my second storm (Hawk) This one has a race pipe and been rejetted and runs a K&N filter as well as the super chip unit. The engine itself is standard. On the Dyno it shows 109bhp at the back wheel but if Im honest I cant really say that it feels a lot more powerfull. Where it does score is the power delivery which is really smooth right up to the red line. whether the superchips unit is giving these advantages I couldnt really say.
All the best
Phil
speedfreek

Thanks!!

Post by speedfreek »

Hmmm, thanks for the tips guys! I'll probably pick one up for
my XX and see if it makes a difference. I've got that bike
tuned to the hilt so I'll notice any performance increases for sure..

Then I'll get one for the Hawk if it's worth it.. :D

8) TJ 8)
Life has a 100% mortality rate, and there ain't no cure.. LIVE IT UP! ... and yes, I'm 100% red blooded American infidel!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hhhmmm, i thought you could only use Superchips systems with fuel injected bikes, seeing as the Storm (Hawk) isnt fuel injected i suspect that it wont actually be doing anything.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If my memory serves me right the Superchips device for the Storm is not a replacement ECU chip but a small box of tricks ( called and ICON I think ) that allows you to program the amount of ignition advance you want at different rpm's.

Al.
sproutout

Post by sproutout »

Firestorm_Al's right It wont effect the fuelling admittedly but it will alter the ignition timing, etc..
Too much ambition results in promotion to a job you cant do!!!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Quality, might have to look into getting one.
blackstorm

superchip

Post by blackstorm »

Been in touch with the company ( Thanks for the number Sprout) Apparently the unit on my bike allows alterations of up to 20 degrees to the ignition throughout the rev range this means that dips in the power delivery can be smoothed out ( Must admit it does seem smoother than my old standard storm) Doesnt have anything to do with the fuelling side of things. I would assume that any one fitting one of these would need some Dyno time to make sure theyre getting it right.
Good site this. One week I ask a question now I'm a bleedin expert
Thanks to all for the help
All the best
Phil