is it ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pstormer

is it ?

Post by pstormer »

Hi all
stormer wouldn`t start this morning and no amount of choke in choke out do this do that would help. Got it going by putting the battery on charge for half an hour after flattening it the first time around. Do you think it is the battery the starter motor or maybe something else. Even when it was summer it was reluctant to start from cold. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Paul :cry:
Paul
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Pstormer
Start with the easy stuff first.check your plugs and see what condition they are in.If the cathode(pointy bit in the middle) is a nice tan or grey colour they're ok. If its not it may be a mixture/balance problem or a bit of muck stuck in the carbs. Most likely it's the battery,have it checked. They quite often struggle on through the summer and at the first sign of cold weather give up. You can't use your old Halfords £9.99 charger on these type of batteries.They need to be voltage/current regulated or they change the discharge characteristics and become useless.
Good luck.

Pete.l
t00lkit

not starting

Post by t00lkit »

Using the 'choke in method' is working for me at the moment, but I'm going to pickup one of the Optimisers from the NEC show next week anyway. It should prolong battery life and will overcome the alarm drain caused by my datatool.

Have you tried measuring the voltage across the battery, my old fazer used to drop a couple of V when not used but always fired up after an hours charge. Only way round it was to buy a new battery. It was fine every time afterwards.

Good luck