Breakdown cover!

General Bike chat
Varastorm

Re: Breakdown cover!

Post by Varastorm »

I used to be with the AA a few years back, but that ended when the wife struck a HGV.... She was ok. The Volvo she was in was wrecked down the driver side & snapped front wheel. She had also managed to remove the front tyre from the lorry 8O .

Anyway, I get a phone call from her & off I go to see if everything is ok. Police are there & as the car is off the carriageway aren't too fussed about hurrying things up.

I call the AA & they inform me the car isn't broken-down, it's a RTA. After a big argument I hang up & go into boot for the spare to change the front wheel. Even though the front & rear wings are destroyed & door skins are hanging off the copper lets me drive it home. Result :lol:

So on that note, make sure that they'll pick you up if your involved in an accident & it's your fault :thumbup:

Carole Nash all the way from a breakdown point of view, used them a few times & no drama to boot :thumbup:

Just make sure you haggle like hell with the price, I managed to knock £80 off this years premium :D
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Free with Carole Nash 6 wheel policy, including European stuff - car and bike
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Prior to my France and Spain trip last year the only option I could find was Carole Nash (& I think other brands they trade under), but they would only do it as part of a new policy, so I ended up cancelling and then renewing my policy with them to get the breakdown cover. Other providers I tried didn't want to cover a bike that old.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Just took breakdown with AA, full recovery and only monthly contract. I can cancel at end of summer and start again whenever the weather improves.
Much better than paying a full year and only riding 6 months
ook
Watty

Post by Watty »

redpig wrote:Just took breakdown with AA, full recovery and only monthly contract. I can cancel at end of summer and start again whenever the weather improves.
Much better than paying a full year and only riding 6 months
You have a PM :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

A few options there! Thanks peeps :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

check the "miles from home" limit. I had a basic policy , broke down about 8 miles or so further away from home than the limit and it cost me another 40 quid iirc.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
redpig

Post by redpig »

No UK limit outside of 1/4 mile from home
ook
Virt

Post by Virt »

Wouldn't recommend the MCE stuff, when I broke my Firestorm last June it cost me £360 something to get the bike from Stowmarket to Birmingham. Only cover you if you drop it on your drive and can't put it in the garage yourself, the range is something stupid (2 miles from home I think)?

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Watty

Post by Watty »

All sorted :D Swinton bikes, roadside and recovery, Monthly contract so can cancel whenever £6.25/month. Same as I had last year but was under the impression they'dstopped doing it.:thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Watty wrote:All sorted :D Swinton bikes, roadside and recovery, Monthly contract so can cancel whenever £6.25/month. Same as I had last year but was under the impression they'dstopped doing it.:thumbup:
That is what I have for the Storm. IIRC it was £5.99 per month when I took it out last year (approx Aug '15), but the government added a tax onto it making it now £6.25 per month, no tie in contract either,

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

sirch345 wrote:
Watty wrote:All sorted :D Swinton bikes, roadside and recovery, Monthly contract so can cancel whenever £6.25/month. Same as I had last year but was under the impression they'dstopped doing it.:thumbup:
That is what I have for the Storm. IIRC it was £5.99 per month when I took it out last year (approx Aug '15), but the government added a tax onto it making it now £6.25 per month, no tie in contract either,

Chris.
Yeah that was mine last year too Chris but being a tight Northerner cancelled mine over winter :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

playerone wrote:I'm with MCE and have their breakdown cover, complete and utter waste of time, after 40 mins waiting on someone even answering the bloody call I gave up and got recovered by a local guy
Funnily enough I broke down today. Middle o nowhere. Fried battery, so game over. I'm with mce. I know I have breakdown cover cos a) they told me so and b) I have a number for it. Rang it and it was answered pretty quickly. They told me I wasn't covered. I said yes I am. They said no I'm not. PRATTS.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

AA for me as well

As it's me covered, as well as my wife, it covers us for whichever vehicle we are in
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Watty wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Yeah that was mine last year too Chris but being a tight Northerner cancelled mine over winter :lol:
Blimey I nearly didn't spot you Andy with you new avatar pic, so used to seeing your old one.

No point in paying out if you didn't need it. It shocked me to get a letter from Swinton to say there had been a tax added to it,

Chris.