Number plate light not working (LED tail unit)- Any advice?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mike TW9

Number plate light not working (LED tail unit)- Any advice?

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi all,

My number plate light became intermittent a month or so back, and would come on with a tap, now it's just not working. The tail light unit is LED, could be cheap Chinese, I don't know. I have the original unit but do like the clear LED look on my bike. Not sure if this is likely to be a fixable dodgy wiring connection (I've had a fiddle under the seat with the obviously accessible connections without getting any further diagnosis-wise) or unfixable LED circuit issue? Any advice? One for Grainstorm maybe...

Cheers!
MacV2

Re: Number plate light not working (LED tail unit)- Any advi

Post by MacV2 »

Prob a failed conention. Scrap it & replace if your desperate for a numberplate light... Don't worry about it if your not...I wouldnt worry about it myself.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Watty

Post by Watty »

Mike TW9 wrote:Hi all,

My number plate light became intermittent a month or so back, and would come on with a tap, now it's just not working. The tail light unit is LED, could be cheap Chinese, I don't know. I have the original unit but do like the clear LED look on my bike. Not sure if this is likely to be a fixable dodgy wiring connection (I've had a fiddle under the seat with the obviously accessible connections without getting any further diagnosis-wise) or unfixable LED circuit issue? Any advice? One for Grainstorm maybe...

Cheers!
Be a board issue no doubt!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is it one of the clear lens ones? I've found that the boards sometimes become detached and rattle around inside the lens.
It's not repairable, and the loose bits will soon bash off the led's on the main board, so buy a spare.

I have one for sale if you want- I probably have a couple more in the stock shed somewhere.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

MacV2 wrote:Prob a failed conention. Scrap it & replace if your desperate for a numberplate light... Don't worry about it if your not...I wouldnt worry about it myself.
Thanks Mac! I'd been assuming it's an MOT requirement but maybe not. The highway code says all side & number plate lights must be lit between sunrise and sunset but that's a bit short of saying you have to have one I guess. A quick surf suggests that number plate lights are a hard MOT requirement for cars but not bikes, which just need a rear red reflector (which I don't have either, the tester did mention it last time but wasn't really bothered). My other thought was the light not working might increase my chances of getting pulled at night. I should probably say pulled over by the cops, I know how minds work around here :lol: . Anyway, I see an interesting response from Tony Mon too... See ya soon!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Watty wrote:
Mike TW9 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers!
Be a board issue no doubt!
Yeah, I'd pretty much reached that conclusion but without much conviction until confirmed by the online gurus!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

tony.mon wrote:Is it one of the clear lens ones? I've found that the boards sometimes become detached and rattle around inside the lens.
It's not repairable, and the loose bits will soon bash off the led's on the main board, so buy a spare.

I have one for sale if you want- I probably have a couple more in the stock shed somewhere.
Hi Tony, that sounds pretty handy, thanks for piping up with that little nugget! I guess it's a pretty straight forward job? What d'ya want for it? Think you're gonna be at Grainstorm 3 in which case I could potentially sort it out then. Cheers!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv the very same lens on my bike and it was doing the same. when i changed the subframe and bolted it all back together its worked fine... ok no help whatsoever lol... but i feel your pain :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

fabiostar wrote:iv the very same lens on my bike and it was doing the same. when i changed the subframe and bolted it all back together its worked fine... ok no help whatsoever lol... but i feel your pain :thumbup:
That gave me a chuckle! You should be on tv :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Watty wrote:
fabiostar wrote:iv the very same lens on my bike and it was doing the same. when i changed the subframe and bolted it all back together its worked fine... ok no help whatsoever lol... but i feel your pain :thumbup:
That gave me a chuckle! You should be on tv :lol:
lol :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

I've had the same thing happen with the clear lense and tinted lense integrated LED light. Like was mentioned, the board actually breaks loose from vibrations and is a real pain in the butt to fix. It's easier to just buy another light.

I have found that these chinese LED lights vary in brightness, especially the running light and brake lights. So, you might want to included some auxiliary brake lights.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Here's one I prepared earlier....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote:Here's one I prepared earlier....
That can't be yours Tony !

The bench is far too clean & uncluttered... :lol: :lol:
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

So Tony kindly sorted me with a new rear light at Grainstorm. In the meantime I've pretty much confirmed that a lack of no. plate light was never going to fail me an MOT anyway. However, my lovely new super bling smoked black LED rear light with integral indicators just could! Apparently it depends on whether the amber flashing is additional to the red light on each side or replaces half of it when you indicate, which is what this does. But not a problem at all, I can easily temporarily disable it if required.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mike TW9 wrote:So Tony kindly sorted me with a new rear light at Grainstorm. In the meantime I've pretty much confirmed that a lack of no. plate light was never going to fail me an MOT anyway. However, my lovely new super bling smoked black LED rear light with integral indicators just could! Apparently it depends on whether the amber flashing is additional to the red light on each side or replaces half of it when you indicate, which is what this does. But not a problem at all, I can easily temporarily disable it if required.
Easy one that. Dont conect the indi function & keep your indi's instead...

Or fit a switch to disable it for MOT time, you'll still need to keep your indi's tho...