Sky/Freeview/Freesat - which are you?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Sky/Freeview/Freesat - which are you?

Post by Mav617 »

I'm ditching Sky after many years. Just don't watch much live TV that's not available elsewhere. Got a decent freeview signal so going to get a twin tuner PVR (like Sky Plus, can record two at once etc and has all the on demand stuff etc) plus NOWTV box for watching Game of Thrones and all the kids tele programs and occasional football match, so the monthly bill drops by £30 or so. Do any of you guys use Freesat at all, in preference to Freeview (as I could use the existing Sky dish, LNB and cabling)?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
bald_pig

Re: Sky/Freeview/Freesat - which are you?

Post by bald_pig »

I have a youview box :lol:

My old man had a freesat box but it was barely used, he stuck with freeview. He now has one of those android boxes for streaming tv.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Our big TV in the lounge has built-in HD Freeview, but of course Freeview is no good for Moto GP anymore since BT bought the viewing rights. So for Moto GP I subscribe to BT (£5 per mth atm) which I can only view on a Sky box. Not ideal, but better than nothing. When the BBC were broadcasting Moto GP I could watch that on the big TV in HD which was fantastic. If I want HD now on the Sky box BT want more money.

I am considering dropping Moto GP from BT, and just watch the highlights on ITV4. I'll see how things go this season then make up my mind,

Chris.
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

We done away with sky a few years ago due to the cost being nearly £90 a month .
We now use HD free view using the old sky dish and cable.
Also we have the now TV box for 6 quid a month. Although we are subscribed to talk talk TV but the box has never been connected as we have no aerial on the roof.
Works well for us as a lot of the sky channels are broadcast via the now TV box .
We also have the amazon fire stick plugged in the back of the tv to give even more channels as my kids are young and still enjoying the Disney channel .
Imo sky and Virgin media is a con and cost just gets higher and higher.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

monkeymatt wrote:We done away with sky a few years ago due to the cost being nearly £90 a month .
We now use HD free view using the old sky dish and cable.
Also we have the now TV box for 6 quid a month. Although we are subscribed to talk talk TV but the box has never been connected as we have no aerial on the roof.
Works well for us as a lot of the sky channels are broadcast via the now TV box .
We also have the amazon fire stick plugged in the back of the tv to give even more channels as my kids are young and still enjoying the Disney channel .
Imo sky and Virgin media is a con and cost just gets higher and higher.
Ideal, thats my plan, Freeview for Beeb, ITV, Four, Yesterday, Dave etc, and NowTV for the kids as they can have it on the big TV in the lounge (via box) or their Xbox in the spare room. Cheers MM :thumbup:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

M8teys .. TBH... I have access to the freesat scenario .. from Astra at 28.2 degs and really it is FREE so if
you have it and are able to view it .. keep it ,..... may be swap the monobloc LNB in front of the dish for
a dual LNB to receive the Hotbird as well so that is two satellite broadcasts .... one for here in the UK there are
others.. and I am no way connected M >>>>> S , I use it as an example
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/monobloc-astr ... -lnb-a17fb

well its free there are many possibilies ... snag is how many hours in a day is there
to watch your telly... so we focus on our selection .. endless really I suppose :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

I have sky but not BT Sport! But, and I've not tried this yet, I've been told to try via laptop to TV connection websites Putlocker or Time 4 TV or Google Moto GP, BT sport watch online! Streaming is apparently 30 seconds behind live viewing!?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Watty wrote:I have sky but not BT Sport! But, and I've not tried this yet, I've been told to try via laptop to TV connection websites Putlocker or Time 4 TV or Google Moto GP, BT sport watch online! Streaming is apparently 30 seconds behind live viewing!?
Happy with that for the footy Andy!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Mav617 wrote:
Watty wrote:I have sky but not BT Sport! But, and I've not tried this yet, I've been told to try via laptop to TV connection websites Putlocker or Time 4 TV or Google Moto GP, BT sport watch online! Streaming is apparently 30 seconds behind live viewing!?
Happy with that for the footy Andy!
Yeah the person that told me watches the footy on it!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have sky ,nowtv,Amazon jail broke fire stick , and a smart tv , don't know why we still have sky (her idea to keep it) .
All the programs that I watch I normally watch on movies123 or download them so I can watch them at my convenience normally around this time .
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I'm with sky atm, but only coz I got a cheap TV deal with them, when that ends
ill probably cancel and get a freesat recordable box, don't watch that much tv anyway
I only have satellite connections (no aerial) so I wil have to go the freesat route !
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

BT Sport full package and Netflix, all in with phone line rental for £46 a month, however i did have to haggle and say how shite there ads are where they give new customers loads of deals and existing ones nothing. I had to do 4 phone calls to complain etc but it seems worth it for me, i get Eurosport 1 and 3 BT Sport and a host on Programmes etc and fine new ones each day to be honest. Complain a bit it does work. The HD is bloody superb for an old blind git like myself. Internet speed is awesome too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Kodi android box is the way forward in my opinion.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Jazzscot wrote:Kodi android box is the way forward in my opinion.

Aye, I looked at them but only seemed available from China and seemed complicated for the wife/kids to use.
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

I think i maybe into tv a bit more than some others, i have a motorised dish in the garden, this covers many satellites, put it in myself a few years ago, you can usually find a foreign sat with the moto gp and football on, there are ways and means to get these channels, not advocating anything illegal i may add :D sky dish is all you need for freesat, with a freesat box of course, some think it all starts and ends with sky, loads of other freesat boxes, also an internet box for kodi, loads of free stuff on there, just need to watch youtube to learn how to put stuff on it, not paid a carrot to sky for years, my sky dish is in the front of my house, easy to put up, needless to say i don't miss much, nothing on telly, i ride me bike. :thumbup:
Last edited by scouse645 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.