Whats cheered you up today...?

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

Re: Whats cheered you up today...?

Post by bigtwinthing »

AMCQ46 wrote:It's snowing in st anton too btt, having a ball

Its snowing everywhere Matey Have a good un! :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

This has nothing to do with motorcycles but it cheered me immensely. One moment I am in the pit of despair and the next I am on top of the world.

Just so you know the background, time and poor workmanship plus substandard materials have all conspired to require a full re-skin of my house. The wife and I are taking it, one section at a time, removing the old siding down to the studs and rebuilding with new insulation, new OSB and new siding, paint and windows. The local home improvement store delivered my two big custom made windows last Friday. I paid the $80 to make sure they arrived without being broken in transit. I was not at home during delivery so Friday evening I took my tape and checked to make sure they were made to my measurements. The measurements were spot on except they were the wrong way round. The top measurement was the height and the height was the top. So now I had two custom windows, that I paid a little over $800 for that would not fit. I tried and tried to figure a way to use them but everything I could think of required extensive work on the sill and a room full of drywall repair. This is the "pit of despair" part.

This morning the wife and I loaded the windows up in the truck (padded with an assortment of blankets and such) and headed for the local home improvement store. I didn't have much hope. First, the paper work showed the dimensions, the wrong way round and I had signed off on it. The second thing is Saturday is a zoo with everyone getting their paint and stuff for the weekend project. A smiling lad helped me get the windows out of the truck (they are pretty heavy) and we approached the returns counter with trepidation. It turned out to be no big deal. They refunded the full amount. They didn't even quibble.

I went back to the custom window section and reordered. The guy looked at my paper work and said "I see that you got our 10% discount on your last order. I'll just call my manager and get him to reinstate that discount." NO KIDDING! I have been set back about 10 days on my house project but I am so very happy that I didn't have to tack on another $800 to reorder windows.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Post the wife just pointed out on Facebook :lol:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Mav617 wrote:Post the wife just pointed out on Facebook :lol:

He better not be in my shed [PISTOL]
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Big_Jim59 wrote:This has nothing to do with motorcycles but it cheered me immensely. One moment I am in the pit of despair and the next I am on top of the world.

Just so you know the background, time and poor workmanship plus substandard materials have all conspired to require a full re-skin of my house. The wife and I are taking it, one section at a time, removing the old siding down to the studs and rebuilding with new insulation, new OSB and new siding, paint and windows. The local home improvement store delivered my two big custom made windows last Friday. I paid the $80 to make sure they arrived without being broken in transit. I was not at home during delivery so Friday evening I took my tape and checked to make sure they were made to my measurements. The measurements were spot on except they were the wrong way round. The top measurement was the height and the height was the top. So now I had two custom windows, that I paid a little over $800 for that would not fit. I tried and tried to figure a way to use them but everything I could think of required extensive work on the sill and a room full of drywall repair. This is the "pit of despair" part.

This morning the wife and I loaded the windows up in the truck (padded with an assortment of blankets and such) and headed for the local home improvement store. I didn't have much hope. First, the paper work showed the dimensions, the wrong way round and I had signed off on it. The second thing is Saturday is a zoo with everyone getting their paint and stuff for the weekend project. A smiling lad helped me get the windows out of the truck (they are pretty heavy) and we approached the returns counter with trepidation. It turned out to be no big deal. They refunded the full amount. They didn't even quibble.

I went back to the custom window section and reordered. The guy looked at my paper work and said "I see that you got our 10% discount on your last order. I'll just call my manager and get him to reinstate that discount." NO KIDDING! I have been set back about 10 days on my house project but I am so very happy that I didn't have to tack on another $800 to reorder windows.
Some days life is good mate. Small victories :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Took the bike out for a spin to check some of the odds n sods I've done over the winter and fill her with fresh petrol.
All nice bright and shiny out today, cold though. Everything seems to be working well, PFM discs and Ferodo pads seem quite nice, they'll need longer to bed in to get a better idea though. ASV levers are nice as is the Arai Rx7GP lid. I wear earplugs anyway but it didn't seem any noisier than the Viper GT I replaced.
The new rose joints on the Harris Rearsets seem to have taken some slack out of the movement
Nice to be back out on the old girl :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
vanstub

Post by vanstub »

lmfao :lol: :clap: :clap:
Life's too short for plain biscuits :thumbup:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I was proper in stitches lol
Watty

Post by Watty »

:lol: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

ImageImage
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

car was repaired after the crunch. Good, i hate dents and scratches etc.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:This has nothing to do with motorcycles but it cheered me immensely. One moment I am in the pit of despair and the next I am on top of the world.

Wow yes more than you could have ever expected, good for you Jim :D

Being a Joiner myself, I can see where the confusion came in...............................................................................it's the difference in what we refer to in the UK as 4" X 2" where you say 2" X 4" IIRC if that makes any sense :wink: :lol:

Chris.
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

Bike passed it's MOT with ease so took her for a nice spin ! :D
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

A phone call advising me of an inteview on Monday 14th...Still pest slaughtering but no more council shite holes if succesful...Or the damm commuting ! :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...