Has anyone successfully drilled out an exhaust stud?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kev64

Re: Has anyone successfully drilled out an exhaust stud?

Post by kev64 »

Well I'm no engineer (makes a change in this thread :lol: )
If all the above don't seem to work, drill the hole nearly the same size and just retap it !
or go bigger ! Job done :thumbup:
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

If I could just get a bloody drill to cut into it I'd be happy! I've tried three different brands of HSS drill bit but no joy. I have all the helicoil kits required, I just need to GET THE FECKING BOLT OUT!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just don't both broke mine several years ago and tried everything. Ended up having to remove the head and letting the pros do it. When you get them to do it make sure you get them to use a Timecert kit rather than the basic helicoil. cannot find my post but is is quite in depth
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

darkember wrote:Just don't both broke mine several years ago and tried everything. Ended up having to remove the head and letting the pros do it. When you get them to do it make sure you get them to use a Timecert kit rather than the basic helicoil. cannot find my post but is is quite in depth
Here's your thread D/E, (pic's on page 3) :-
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... t=helicoil

Chris.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

darkember wrote:Just don't both broke mine several years ago and tried everything. Ended up having to remove the head and letting the pros do it. When you get them to do it make sure you get them to use a Timecert kit rather than the basic helicoil. cannot find my post but is is quite in depth
Found your post

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 0&start=45

How much did they charge you?

Edit: :clap: well done Chris, you beat me to it!
darkember

Post by darkember »

sirch345 wrote:
Here's your thread D/E, (pic's on page 3) :-
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... t=helicoil

Chris.
Damn Sirch how do you manage to find the thread so easily :D :D
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

or... if any of the stud is left, take off head clamp offending stud in vice and rotate the head off the stud done it twice easy :thumbup:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I'm watching this as I have to tap one side on the front and remove and tap other side on the front. This I will be attempting once the swing arm and all associated parts are back on the bike. I did think about a front head swop but would this mean possible new rings? rebore? new piston? plus anything else?

If I get it done this week ill post up how I did it. I have centre punches, drill bits, stud extractors, taps and helicoil kit once (hopefully) its out.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
darkember

Post by darkember »

mellis wrote:
Found your post

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 0&start=45

How much did they charge you?

Cost was £30 to have the offending stud removed and the Timserts fitted. I provided the Timeserts as they would have fitted heliciols
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

VTR Phoenix wrote:I'm watching this as I have to tap one side on the front and remove and tap other side on the front. This I will be attempting once the swing arm and all associated parts are back on the bike. I did think about a front head swop but would this mean possible new rings? rebore? new piston? plus anything else?

If I get it done this week ill post up how I did it. I have centre punches, drill bits, stud extractors, taps and helicoil kit once (hopefully) its out.
No, swapping head doesn't mean disturbing the barrel, (which is cast in with the crankcase upper half anyway) piston, rings, or anything else.
All you need is a head gasket.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am sure one of the guys on here got the stud free by cutting 1 or 2mm of the aluminium of the head away with a dremmel ......... as this is the area where all the corrosion is that is jamming the stud it then cam out easily.
As the exhaust collar doesn't get pulled down to the cast face on the head, the removal of metal has no effect on the clamping.
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:I am sure one of the guys on here got the stud free by cutting 1 or 2mm of the aluminium of the head away with a dremmel ......... as this is the area where all the corrosion is that is jamming the stud it then cam out easily.
As the exhaust collar doesn't get pulled down to the cast face on the head, the removal of metal has no effect on the clamping.
Yes as I mentioned earlier .
Remove 2mm from the head then put two slats on the stud so you can get a 8mm spanner in it then heat up the head and the stud loosens off .
I've had to do this a few times now when a nut splitter wasn't used .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mellis wrote:
:)
darkember wrote: Damn Sirch how do you manage to find the thread so easily :D :D
It's not always easy :lol: although I remember that one very well. What amazed me was how long ago you did that 8O

Chris.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

So I took it to a mechanic who told me it was so bad that he'd have to take the head off and mill the stud out 8O

Took it to my father in law (engineer) who gave me a slow speed drill, a pot of copper grease and an old HSS drill bit. He told me to go slowly, which I did and lo and behold I went straight through the bolt! Re-tapped the hole as an M6 and we're back in business!!! Thanks for all the hints and tips too guys!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hurray :D Great news, I bet that's a relief Mark, well done to you and your Father-in-law :clap:

Chris.