Upside down fork conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
trikeopath

Upside down fork conversion

Post by trikeopath »

Hi I've just finished stage one of mt VTR re-build (Single Sider, 2003 R1 Seat etc) I now want to lose the Fairings and bung a set of CBR929 Blade forks in! Does anyone know if the Steering Stem needs to be F**k*ed with to fit the F/Storm Frame???
Chris
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

was the seat conversion much hassle??

its the one thing i don't like about the bike......
trikeopath

Post by trikeopath »

Let me put it this way, I won't be doing it again! It was so involved I lost heart with it twice, the first time I smashed the new subframe with a sledgey Cuz it looked wrong! and the second time went out and bought a standard Firestorm! Eventually I went back into the garage and welded up a whole new Subframe and Exhaust System from scratch but I went without sleep for 3 nights to do it!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

right, that would appear to be slightly out of my technical ability :lol:

is there a seat conversion that anybody knows off thats less hassle ???

over to you......
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

I've just fitted a GSXR750K2 front end - don't know if information on that conversion's of any use to you? It's a fairly simple job. Why are you going the Blade route?
alan

Post by alan »

I am fitting the 929 front end i have pm you chris about this.i dont know why i chose the blade really i was just reading on the oz sight and someone had done it.
I always wanted to change the front since having the bike but was a bit unsure how much was involved, but all the front has to be changed with the 929 option i am stuck for a wheel at the minute and dont know what others will fit the 929 forks any ideas anyone
thanks Alan

ps i will ring you later chris about the tie rod you made as you have lost me in your mail.
juni5

Post by juni5 »

Hey Scuba...Can you tell me what needed to be done to fit the gsxr front end onto your vtr? I'm thinking about doing the same, seeing that the forks on my vtr resemble a pretzel right now...I might be using a gsxr1000k4 front end though..Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Where do I start...

Basics: First thing is to get a decent set of forks, possibly from ebay where I got mine). Then decide what front end configuration you'd prefer in terms of yokes, bars, brake calipers, discs, wheels etc. My recommendation is to go for a total transplant. I decided to keep the stock Gixer bottom yoke and stem and add a billet top yoke as I was fitting Renthals. I simply had the Gixer stem adapted to match the Firestorm bearing requirements, and fitted taper bearings while I was at it. The stock Gixer750K2 stem is, more or less, the same length as the Firestorm's - it just needed some machining to accept the bearings, bearing retainers, dust cap etc.

Then you have "knock-on" decisions about other stuff on the bike.

For instance, I used a GSXR600SRAD front wheel, which of course meant the wheels didn't match. So I changed the rear to an SRAD wheel which, in turn, forced some other changes because the axles are different sizes and the chain/disc positions are slightly different.

And the wheel decision also meant some changes in terms of brake set up front and rear, and a sprocket change (the Gixer runs a 525 sprocket where the Storm runs a 530). Brakes-wise, I ended up going with Tokico 6-pots from a Gixer1000K1 to match the forks' caliper bolt pattern, and adapting the rear caliper mount so it hung below the disc with a custom torque arm (this done also because I had a Yammie R1 top brace fitted to the swingarm).

Like I said, them's the basics, plus a bit more besides. I really recommend you thinking it through and planning ahead before you go fitting the replacement front end. If I could figure out how to, I'd attach a pic of the bits I've done! Can anyone give me advice as to how to post a bloomin' piccie? Happy to answer any more questions too.

Scubadog
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Scubadog, now the 'Photo gallery is back you can up load your pic's there straight from a file on your computer, just click on the 'Photo Gallery' at the top of this page then click 'choose' then just follow instructions.

Hope that helps,

Chris.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Thanks for the info Chris. Kinda simple really...

I've posted four pics of my streetfighter showing both front and back end work. Go to the "Workshop" folder and look for the blue ("teal") naked Firestorm.

Scubadog
juni5

Post by juni5 »

Thanks for the reply Scuba. I appreciate the info and the time you took. That really helps me to get an idea of what it's going to take to put it on. Thanks man...
2004 600RR
2004 R6
2002 VTR 1000
2000 XR50
1996 YZ 125
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

No problem, happy to help. If you go ahead with the conversion and need more help, drop me an email at martinarcher5@btinternet.com.

Scoob
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

scubadog wrote:Where do I start...

Basics: First thing is to get a decent set of forks, possibly from ebay where I got mine). Then decide what front end configuration you'd prefer in terms of yokes, bars, brake calipers, discs, wheels etc. My recommendation is to go for a total transplant. I decided to keep the stock Gixer bottom yoke and stem and add a billet top yoke as I was fitting Renthals. I simply had the Gixer stem adapted to match the Firestorm bearing requirements, and fitted taper bearings while I was at it. The stock Gixer750K2 stem is, more or less, the same length as the Firestorm's - it just needed some machining to accept the bearings, bearing retainers, dust cap etc.

Then you have "knock-on" decisions about other stuff on the bike.

For instance, I used a GSXR600SRAD front wheel, which of course meant the wheels didn't match. So I changed the rear to an SRAD wheel which, in turn, forced some other changes because the axles are different sizes and the chain/disc positions are slightly different.

And the wheel decision also meant some changes in terms of brake set up front and rear, and a sprocket change (the Gixer runs a 525 sprocket where the Storm runs a 530). Brakes-wise, I ended up going with Tokico 6-pots from a Gixer1000K1 to match the forks' caliper bolt pattern, and adapting the rear caliper mount so it hung below the disc with a custom torque arm (this done also because I had a Yammie R1 top brace fitted to the swingarm).

Like I said, them's the basics, plus a bit more besides. I really recommend you thinking it through and planning ahead before you go fitting the replacement front end. If I could figure out how to, I'd attach a pic of the bits I've done! Can anyone give me advice as to how to post a bloomin' piccie? Happy to answer any more questions too.

Scubadog

So basically what you're saying is that if you want a bike to handle like a gixxer, brake like a gixxer,etc then buy a Gixxer ? :roll: :roll:
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

Rincewind wrote:right, that would appear to be slightly out of my technical ability :lol:

is there a seat conversion that anybody knows off thats less hassle ???

over to you......
Here's a link to a Metisse seat that looks a whole lot better than the standard one, & you can use the stock sub-frame!

http://www.whaccessories.com/VTR%20Accessories.htm
Happiness is a 200kph mono past a Catholic Schoolgirl excursion
gcs

Post by gcs »

scubadog wrote:Thanks for the info Chris. Kinda simple really...

I've posted four pics of my streetfighter showing both front and back end work. Go to the "Workshop" folder and look for the blue ("teal") naked Firestorm.

Scubadog

That looks fantastic, like it lots :D :D :D
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.