R1 shock fitted with pics

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: R1 shock fitted with pics

Post by fabiostar »

vtrnewboy wrote:
fabiostar wrote:can i just ask, the zx9 shock mount was it not long enuf before you cut it to reach the storms frame once you had the shock mounted at the bottom?
yes it did fit but it was to high lifted the rear to much . i just used the nut on the zx9 shock mount to spread the load on the underneath of the frame

ps : the zx9 mount wasn't long enough to go all the way though the frame if that's wot you was asking . there may be a better way of doing the top mount ie having one made up but this didn't cost me a penny to do :)
happy days thats just what i was wanting to know..... def will be worth while having a wee look at as my rear shock is hard as bricks even on its softest setting..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
vtrnewboy

Post by vtrnewboy »

I knew spring rates and all that would come up but the thing is the spring on the standard vrt is over kill way to hard

[quote="fabiostar"]happy days thats just what i was wanting to know..... def will be worth while having a wee look at as my rear shock is hard as bricks even on its softest setting..[/quote

I have bounced up and down on it trying to bottom it out and not managed it yet just got to finish fitting exhaust and so on then will try it . :) when you sit on the bike you can feel the shock unlike the vtr shock that may as well be made out of concrete :roll:

like all mods their is room for improvement that's why its best to post yours and get feed back as you may find better ways of doing things :D without people thinking out side the box we would all be riding around on standard bike's :thumbup:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Newboy,

Have you been riding the bike?

If so your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for trying something different.

I have brought your post to the attention of some brethren in the States and they are as interested as me.

Thanks! :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
vtrnewboy

Post by vtrnewboy »

kenmoore wrote:Newboy,

Have you been riding the bike?

If so your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for trying something different.

I have brought your post to the attention of some brethren in the States and they are as interested as me.

Thanks! :thumbup:
so far only been jumping up and down on the bike trying to get it to bottom out which I cant ,got to get rest of bike back together now and then try it . I've checked up and can get different springs to fit which is still cheaper option than a Ohlin's or other after market performance replacement shocks,

will update when rode tested it ,

I only did it to see what would fit without to much modding or expense :D
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Thanks,

This is really interesting.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been following this mod for a while, any updates VTRNewboy?

I am interested to see it the R1 shock (spring) is okay with the new lower linkage.

Also wondering, would it be possible to swap the VTR spring onto the R1 shock body?

Btw, the later 04> R1 shock has the canister mounted horizontally.

Shock length permitting, when fitted would eradicate the swing arm to canister clearance issue :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

any more news how this turned out?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Still curious about this!

Any more news?
South Coast
New South Wales