US ICU to Eurobike

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MYle

US ICU to Eurobike

Post by MYle »

Hello boys & girls!

New guy with the Firestorm and in trouble allready...

I allready posted my question to Yankie -site but there was one (kind?) gentleman guiding me here...

I purchaced 2002 Firestorm from an insurance company last spring. The bike had been stolen and there was minor damages all over the bike.
I've been fixing the bike whenever I've had chance. There will be fairings and back side from -98 fireblade on my bike since original plastics were vanished and I happened to get these cheap.

I had to change the ICU since the original HISS-version did not respond (I even had the original keys) nor did it go to "diagnostics mode" when I tried with the gables I made and plugging to the pulse generator socket. The new ICU I bought from US and it is same year model (2002) but without HISS.
With this new ICU I haven't been able to get it giving "firing commands" to the CDI.

My question is about the pin-out of the US-version ICU. Is it really the same with the EURO -version?
When you look at the schemas it looks identical, except for the HISS receiver and the HISS indicator wires. But the schematics don't show are the wires going to the same physical pins!

I investigated the operation with USB-scope and could see the problem is not with anything supposed in the web. I've checked the ignition related switches (Neutral, sidestand, glutch) changed also the R/R but no spark. DCI I believe is ok. The pulse generator pulse is ok and looks fine in scope.

I yesterday got spark when I was pushing a test pin with my thumb to the HISS-receiver socket RxDT -pin. The spark was flashing with the pace of my heart rate I guess!! (And therefore I guess the CDI is ok...)
So from there I started thinking maybe the pin-out is different and the Euro-version socket is connecting wrong pins to the ICU.

So if anyone has an US -version Wiring harness for the 2001 -->newer bike and/or could take a pics showing the wiring going to the socket I would appreciate a lot.

Also someone mentioned the HISS-receiver wires should be connected either to the ground or to Vcc. Is there a factual information on this one ?

Or maybe wiring is totally same and my US-version ICU is allready f****d...?!

Cheers!

Mikko
Wicky

Re: US ICU to Eurobike

Post by Wicky »

You'll need a HSS ICU and then will need to get it programmed to work, or buy a complete matching lockset from a '01+ HSS VTR as well as the ICU and transplant it onto your bike > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR-100 ... 25a7d69b22

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=27424
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

some times the hiss receiver can fail, not sure if this is what has happened to your bike, you can buy them second hand on ebay for $30, and it doesn't just fit the vtr, it fits other models, worth a try for not a lot of outlay.
good luck with solving the problem.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

Mikko, I was just trying to be nice and help. Sorry if my reply on the other site came across the wrong way. Looks like you got the help you needed though.
MYle

Post by MYle »

No worries Grux ! Don't feel rejected from the US site.
I'm also a visitor here in the UK site... :wave:

Agentpineapple & Wicky: Thanks for the reply but I don't want the HISS ICU or new lockset.

I'm so DIY -idiot I need to make this US -version to work.

So still seeking for the pin-out for the 2001--> newer US ICU...

Cheers

Mikko
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Problem is we have nonUS ICUs on our UK bikes - but you are trying to mate up a US non-HISS ICU into a euro-HISS bike

US folk don't know anything about HISS VTRs hence why they pointed you over here.

http://world.honda.com/tech-views/motor ... index.html
An IC chip built into each of the motorcycle's two original ignition keys is programmed with a secret coded password, which is checked by the vehicle's ECU every time the key is inserted. The engine can only be started when the coded password of the matching ignition key is in close proximity.
If your non-HISS US ICU hasn't got the capacity to have the coded password then you're entering unkown territory to start your HISS ignition. Hence why I pointed you to the complete HISS replacement lockset, as I don't think what you are attempting to do has ever been done before, and I don't think even Honda will offer you clues on how to crack their security system.

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/news/motorcycles/20070308.html
H.I.S.S. features a fail-safe electronic interlock that prevents the engine from being started in any way other than using the motorcycle's two original keys. Totally disabling the engine at the very heart of its ignition system, the system cannot be bypassed by either hot-wiring the ignition or exchanging the ignition switch module, thus effectively deterring joyriders and greatly reducing the possibility of ride-away theft.
What prompted you to get a US nonHISS ICU for your HISS VTR instead of a euro-HISS ICU and getting it recoded/reprogrammed for which there is knowledge about?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MYle

Post by MYle »

Hello Wicky.

I'm not attempting to crack the HISS. I just want to change the EURO-ICU to the US -ICU so further on my bike does not have the in-build security system.
My bike will be like the US-version. without HISS. If (when) I want to have a security system on the bike I will install an aftermarket alarm unit.

My problem is only the compatibility of EURO -wiring harness compared to US. That is why I'm asking a picture (s) of the 2001 &later US-ICU socket where I can see which wire is going to the which socket pin.
Then with the help of the US-wiring diagram and the picture I can compare (To EURO diagram and my ICU socket) and when necessary to change the wires going to the correct pins.

The reason why I want to get rid of the HISS... :think: is it enough to say that I don't like it...
Actually I'm a true DIY-idiot and pissed off by the car/bike/machine manufacturers way of hiding the valuable information which forces us users to use expensive OEM services and parts (Which is the name of the business today and it is very understandable).

Cheers.

Mikko