My recent trip to France and Spain (photo's now posted)

General Biker Banter
Mike TW9

My recent trip to France and Spain (photo's now posted)

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi all, just thought I'd report back on my trip...

Took the bike to France via le Havre on I think 21st May having got my hands freezing cold getting to Portsmouth early that morning, only having brought summer gloves- travelling light with no hard luggage, tent and sleeping bag in a big Weiss pillion bag. I was enjoying myself from the start with the sun out, no traffic and the roads just getting better and better as I went south, along with the temperature. I planned the route using http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ and that worked really well. I got a little south of Le Mans on the first afternoon, then through Tours and near the Dordogne on the second day. Then to the Auvergne, Gorge du Tarn, Millau Viaduct, Langue Doc region and then south of Carcassonne staying in the middle of nowhere in the woods and hills with an old mate who's now doing organic market garden farming with his wife and kids. Great antidote to London from my angle! Then headed for the Pyranese, through Andorra and then skirted along the Spanish side of the mountains towards Pamplona and then Bilbao, getting the long crossing back (with dolphins thrown in!).

Great fun and I'd recommend it to all! The bike never missed a beat. Biggest issues were tempramental rear left indicator due to loose connection under the seat- must fix!, worn front tyre (cross e section going triangular) and forgetting to put my headlight on (got pulled for this in Spain but they let me off). And no real hairy moments either, just a few unseen pebbles under the front tyre on a few corners and the odd coach coming round a hairpin when I'd rather it didn't if it has to stray that far over.

Most bikes on the ferry coming back were big adventure BMWs and Triumphs, but there was one couple on an R1, no hard luggage who'd gone to the south of spain and back, with large rucksack between rider and pillion. Front of bike was a bit smashed up due to them hitting a deer, but he'd somehow managed to stay on.
Last edited by Mike TW9 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: My recent trip to France and Spain

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like you had a great time, well done for making it happen :thumbup:

Chris.
daz

Post by daz »

Congrats on the trip, it's definitely on my bucket list, I'm not jealous at all, honest :D
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

glad to hear you had a great time mate, the roads are awesome, and yes the Spanish police can be Richard :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I did some continental stuff on my VTR - but that was before all the petrol stations took UK cards and with a 16l tank, Sundays were a bit fraught, which is why I bought the TDM for touring. Have done much the same as you across the Pyrenees/Andorra etc. On the ferry back we saw loads of dolphins too - quite the highlight of the trip in many ways. It's not till you get abroad that you see some really old bikes that people tour round on quite happily. I do wish I'd had the Storm in the Pyrenees and Alps sometimes though.........
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I envy you guys.

I have been all through there in a car on my last European vacation.

It was just after I bought the Storm and I was wishing that I was there on it.

You guys are soooo lucky to be soooo close to all that.

For me it is 24Hrs in a plane and then no bike!

Do you have any pics?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

need some pictures :thumbup:
AMcQ
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

OK, think I've worked out how to get photos originally encrypted as REM files off my Blackberry, onto Photobucket and then post the link here, but I could be wrong!

I took this one at the top of the pass in Andorra from one of it's countless petrol stations (snow on the mountains & about 10 degrees C): Image

This was somewhere in Spain, or maybe it was France...: Image

Camping with old friend Hannah who I'd coordinated parts of the trip with. Always handy to have a support van!: Image

Millau Viaduct!: Image

Selfie in the Gorge du Tarn (an area I'd thoroughly recommend not far from Millau: Image

Hope that's worked!
agentpineapple

Re: My recent trip to France and Spain (photo's now posted)

Post by agentpineapple »

looks good mike, but you could do with a shave in that last pic...... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

agentpineapple wrote:looks good mike, but you could do with a shave in that last pic...... :lol:
Shave ? looks like he's straining one out... :Toilet1:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
darkember

Post by darkember »

Great photos M8 and :Finger: up to those doubters about the Storms touring capability :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

darkember wrote:Great photos M8 and :Finger: up to those doubters about the Storms touring capability :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hang on Hang on, Hannahs a chiropractor :lol: great pics.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks like you had a good trip :) how did the storm fair up ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice one Mike, pleased to hear the bike ran well with no real issues. Must have been great fun. Thanks for posting.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside