does this look normal?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: does this look normal?

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, you have two bent exhaust valves.
No, you don't need to touch the other cylinder, except to replace its CCT with one that won't let you down.
And, no, you can't tell if the cct in the pic has a stopper mod fitted; but given that the other one's failed I'd say it was unlikely....

Strip out the bent valves, buy two 2nd hand ones and stick them in, Halfords do a cheap lapping stick and two grades of grinding paste for less than a tenner, lap all four in, new head gasket, slap it back together, not forgetting to replace the ex stud, time properly and away you go.

Silvers have valves if you want new ones, I have valves if you want 2nd hand ones.

As long as the guides are ok just rebuild it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macdee

Post by macdee »

when looking at your pictures again i think all four valves have hit might be worth while checking them all ?
told you not to but oh no you knew better
mightyscotspine

Post by mightyscotspine »

MacV2 wrote:
mightyscotspine wrote:
Hardly any play in chain, but I guess I should replace the tensioner for a manual one unless the one I have already is that?

My tensioner..http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144 ... 0047_1.jpg

Standard unless it has a stopper mod...if it has it hasn't worked... :(
:lol: good point well made.. they aint worked!
mightyscotspine

tony.mon wrote:Yes, you have two bent exhaust valves.
No, you don't need to touch the other cylinder, except to replace its CCT with one that won't let you down.
And, no, you can't tell if the cct in the pic has a stopper mod fitted; but given that the other one's failed I'd say it was unlikely....

Strip out the bent valves, buy two 2nd hand ones and stick them in, Halfords do a cheap lapping stick and two grades of grinding paste for less than a tenner, lap all four in, new head gasket, slap it back together, not forgetting to replace the ex stud, time properly and away you go.

Silvers have valves if you want new ones, I have valves if you want 2nd hand ones.

Cheers tony,

You make it sound really easy, to be fair it's gone ok thus far, I thought the problem was in the rear head, thankfully I was right.. so far!
My nice neighbour who has an old bonny and a BSA bought me a lapping stick the other day, nice..
Given cost I shall be in touch shortly for a couple or 4 valves once I have got the compressor on Friday, the halfords one was massive and v expensive!
I will have to read the timing cct post a few times so i don't mess it up!

Jon.
mightyscotspine

macdee wrote:when looking at your pictures again i think all four valves have hit might be worth while checking them all ?

I will, might as well practice taking valves out! Should I clean off the top of the piston at all?

Jon.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mightyscotspine wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Yes, you have two bent exhaust valves.

Cheers tony,

You make it sound really easy, to be fair it's gone ok thus far, I thought the problem was in the rear head, thankfully I was right.. so far!
My nice neighbour who has an old bonny and a BSA bought me a lapping stick the other day, nice..
Given cost I shall be in touch shortly for a couple or 4 valves once I have got the compressor on Friday, the halfords one was massive and v expensive!
I will have to read the timing cct post a few times so i don't mess it up!

Jon.
Yep, the Halfords compressor is just under £50.
But it works well and makes the job easy.

And without it your bike's worth £500.
With one your bike is worth considerably more.

But if you want to borrow one locally i don't doubt that someone nearby will assist, for a drinks token or two.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.