Sunday ride gone bang.

General Biker Banter
xdaddyxspudx

Sunday ride gone bang.

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

well my Sunday ride hasn't been great.

Chugging along enjoy the sun. Listening to music.

Can hear this loud knocking banging noise from the front gead/exhaust area

Quickly pull over and bike cuts out. Know want even start.

Thanks to the peeps over at honda vtr on Facebook
it's seems sadly I've come trumps of the cct failure.

Annoyed and upset she my baby n she is also my work horse which I use every day.

So I'm screwed for a short period of time.

Any advice for repairs to look for.

Jamie
lloydie

Re: Sunday ride gone bang.

Post by lloydie »

The chances are you've bent the valves and maybe damaged the piston .
So check valve clearances to see if there still in spec if your a lotto winner they will be ,
It's there out pull the head and have a good look .

Lube, no lube, it's your choice .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Do not attempt to start the bike until you know what has happened or you may cause further damage.

CCT failure is likely if the bike still has the original OEM tensioners. It usually the front that fails. The first thing you should do is verify it is a tensioner failure by following Mac's advice in the following thread:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36575

If it has failed then you may have got lucky and not bent any valves but the chances are there will be a couple of bent valves which is fairly common. You can check for bent valves by measuring for excessive valve clearance which would be your give away, in which case then it's a head off job.

See the read me for new members below and you will find loads of info on CCT's.

Oh and welcome to the forum :beer:

(:-})

==============================Enter the Darkside
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

hi thank u for ur info and support

my plans to tomoz are to strip the bike down to the heads and will check the front head value clearance and see if are correct.

im modist when comes to working on a bike but this will be the worse ive possibly guna have to do.

they are still auto tenstioners and ive not started the bike even when pressed button just clicked like the battery was dead which was strange.

ill get some pics up 2moz of any results found.
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

good evening

well stripped my bike and removed the cct and head this are my result

but looks of it i have a bent valve im not 100 sure those but here some picks

this is from ft dead centre

this is the valves not sure if top left one looks bent

bottom of the vaules

what would ur advice be

thanks

jamie
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

darkember

Post by darkember »

Are there any marks on the piston. Usually a tell tale sign that the valves will have come into contact and will be bent. In the video is that the chain slack at TDC for the front pot?? If that is the case then yes there is zero tension on the chain classic Cct failure. If i were you dont second guess the valves whilst the head is off the bike get it re built with new valves cause you will only have to take it apart again if they are bent and that will mean another new head gasket.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's exactly what I was thinking. Another option for you would be to buy a good used front head (unfortunately harder to find and more expensive) but could work out cheaper by the time you add the costs of valves, new stem seals, redoing valve clearances and the time it takes to do the work. You could them simply replace with that (transplant on) along with a new head gasket.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If it's of any use I have spare valves, and complete heads ready to go on an exchange basis, assuming that your head is in rebuildable condition (i.e. no cracked guides).

An easy way to check whether the valves are bent is to reinstall the cams and cam caps and check the valve clearances with the head off the bike. If the valves are bent then you will get 1mm or more clearance, if not much closer to the usual spec clearances, .13-19 inlet, .28-34 exhaust.

Even if the piston shows some marks, it is rarely damaged to the point where it needs replacing. (if it is, no real problem, as you can release the big end bolts by removing the sump and getting in that way).
If needed, of course, I have good usable pistons, but you'll need new rings and a slight hone (got one of those, too).

Not a disaster...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

tony.mon wrote:If it's of any use I have spare valves, and complete heads ready to go on an exchange basis, assuming that your head is in rebuildable condition (i.e. no cracked guides).

An easy way to check whether the valves are bent is to reinstall the cams and cam caps and check the valve clearances with the head off the bike. If the valves are bent then you will get 1mm or more clearance, if not much closer to the usual spec clearances, .13-19 inlet, .28-34 exhaust.

Even if the piston shows some marks, it is rarely damaged to the point where it needs replacing. (if it is, no real problem, as you can release the big end bolts by removing the sump and getting in that way).
If needed, of course, I have good usable pistons, but you'll need new rings and a slight hone (got one of those, too).

Not a disaster...

hi tony i can reinstall the cams and check the clearance later today and see.

my choice is to get hold of a 2nd hand head and go from there.

i would gladly swap heads but im unsure if the guilds are cracked how i inspect that and take some pics for u

only issue i have on the head is that the exhuast was pritty much stuck on via the bracket and the exhuast snapped of and i have to chizzle is off has broken studs in it and there is some damage to where the studs are ill take a picture and show u

but if ur willin to do a swap its would be really appricated thank u

jamie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ah, re-reading my post above I may have given you the impression that I would swap for free, not the case I'm afraid.

Apologies if you were misled.

I'll do an exchange service, but some money will also need to change hands.
A rebuilt head with lapped-in valves is like hen's teeth!

All monies made are reinvested in engine tuning etc, and I post the results so hopefully for the benefit of all on here.
The current funds are needed for oversized inlet valves, not convinced that there will be much of a difference but we'll see.
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

tony.mon wrote:Ah, re-reading my post above I may have given you the impression that I would swap for free, not the case I'm afraid.

Apologies if you were misled.

I'll do an exchange service, but some money will also need to change hands.
A rebuilt head with lapped-in valves is like hen's teeth!

All monies made are reinvested in engine tuning etc, and I post the results so hopefully for the benefit of all on here.
The current funds are needed for oversized inlet valves, not convinced that there will be much of a difference but we'll see.
Hi Tony.

That ok though maybe a bit to true lol

I've ordered a front head already n on it's way.

If u can salvage any think from my front head ur more than welcome to have it.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If I had a machine shop I could easily turn rear heads into front ones and there would be a ready supply; sadly I don't....
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:If I had a machine shop I could easily turn rear heads into front ones and there would be a ready supply; sadly I don't....
I too have two spare rear heads lol

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lloydie wrote:
tony.mon wrote:If I had a machine shop I could easily turn rear heads into front ones and there would be a ready supply; sadly I don't....
I have two heads lol

8O
And you take the piss over the six finger Grain club !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...