Bikes your dad had/has.

General Bike chat
ging500

Re: Bikes your dad had/has.

Post by ging500 »

bazza696 wrote:
AndyEames wrote:Thats quite a collection there! I think ill ask mine and get a complete list from my dad, and try and post it.
you can see where I got my love of Honda, if it's good enough for dad it's good enought for me.
He also had a Ducati Elite 200.
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

When my little girl grows up it will be totally up to her. Both me and the missus love bikes, and if she does too then fair play. If your parents told you that you wernt allowed a bike would it stop you?

Then again my dad encouraged me to get one!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

my oldest lad is 16 and a half and so far has not mentioned getting a scoot or anything but I think he might when the weather warms up . I will of course try and talk him out of it.

my daughter has parted company with the mille riding,skydiving boyfriend and from the biking point of view I was pleased .

it just goes to show that like big jims mum how ever long you,ve had kids you don't want them in harms way .

:thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'd rather know about it so I could offer them safety tips and observe their riding when they start on the road
I feel the same about drugs. It's always best to be open and honest and then you can keep an eye on them and make sure they are safe. Not only that but it keeps the relationship sweet. Better to enjoy things with them rather than them go and do things behind your back.

My dad also has never been into bikes. He's never even had a driving license and has never driven or ridden. He wont fly but being ex RN will travel by Sea.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

fabiostar wrote:moving the thread to the next stage tho. would you be happy to let your own children ride bikes? known the dangers it brings ? for me id say no id rather they didnt at least not on the roads..
I introduced my son to riding when he was about 8 or 9 years old. I found an old Honda XL100 that had been through the wars. The last owner had painted everything, wheels, tires engine, the works with a blue rattle can. I rebuilt the engine and sent the frame off for powder coating and he spent hours with steel wool scrubbing that blue paint off everything. It looked great when he was done and he was so proud of his work. That bike became his magic carpet. We live in rural Texas and we own about 18 acres of scrub and pasture land. He had the trails and he rode the wheels off that bike. There were some other kids in the area and they all rode together and crashed together. Then he discover cars. He is a car nut. He likes bikes OK but cars are his thing. It's funny but there is no interest there to ride on the street or the dirt anymore.

My daughter got into horses. Now that's stupid and dangerous! I had a "horse person" have the audacity to exclaim that "motorcycles are dangerous!" I said "ma'am your riding something that has a brain the size of a walnut, it's skiddish, moody and unpredictable. My ride has a throttle and an off switch. Enough said.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Watty

Post by Watty »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
fabiostar wrote:moving the thread to the next stage tho. would you be happy to let your own children ride bikes? known the dangers it brings ? for me id say no id rather they didnt at least not on the roads..
I introduced my son to riding when he was about 8 or 9 years old. I found an old Honda XL100 that had been through the wars. The last owner had painted everything, wheels, tires engine, the works with a blue rattle can. I rebuilt the engine and sent the frame off for powder coating and he spent hours with steel wool scrubbing that blue paint off everything. It looked great when he was done and he was so proud of his work. That bike became his magic carpet. We live in rural Texas and we own about 18 acres of scrub and pasture land. He had the trails and he rode the wheels off that bike. There were some other kids in the area and they all rode together and crashed together. Then he discover cars. He is a car nut. He likes bikes OK but cars are his thing. It's funny but there is no interest there to ride on the street or the dirt anymore.

My daughter got into horses. Now that's stupid and dangerous! I had a "horse person" have the audacity to exclaim that "motorcycles are dangerous!" I said "ma'am your riding something that has a brain the size of a walnut, it's skiddish, moody and unpredictable. My ride has a throttle and an off switch. Enough said.
EXACTLY, how can something without an engine be safe? Of fun for that matter :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Watty wrote:EXACTLY, how can something without an engine be safe? Of fun for that matter :lol:
Don't get me wrong. I am not anti horse but I am under no delusions they they are in any way, shape or form safe. My Daughter got thrown a couple of times by this neurotic Arabian we had and the last time she broke her arm. That was it for the horses.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Agree 100%. Most scared I have ever been was when my 14 year old daughter was on way to a riding lesson on her horse, I was walking alongside, the fecking thing had walked this route hundreds of times. On this occasion a viscious looking plastic crisp packet fluttered in the breeze and the b8stard took off straight across the main road we were just approaching!! Only luck, and it being early on a Saturday morning, meant we made it across without incident. I punched the b8stard as hard as I could manage and it just looked at me blankly. My daughter is convinced bikes are dangerous and horses lovely. Can't argue with them, can you.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Kev L wrote:Agree 100%. Most scared I have ever been was when my 14 year old daughter was on way to a riding lesson on her horse, I was walking alongside, the fecking thing had walked this route hundreds of times. On this occasion a viscious looking plastic crisp packet fluttered in the breeze and the b8stard took off straight across the main road we were just approaching!! Only luck, and it being early on a Saturday morning, meant we made it across without incident. I punched the b8stard as hard as I could manage and it just looked at me blankly. My daughter is convinced bikes are dangerous and horses lovely. Can't argue with them, can you.
Oh yes the dangerous blowing plastic sack, the hateful paper cups and the ever spooky tree branch might cause panic in a horses mind. Magic (The Arabian) hated to get his hooves wet. My daughter was walking him out on the road making him walk over a small "dry" ditch. He just knew there was water in it and he was being fussy. She did this three or for times until he got pissed and took off at full run. She had a training side pull on him, it's like a Hackamore that will pull his head down toward his chest and stop a run. She pulled him down and since he could go forward he went straight up. My daughter looked like a rodeo cowboy with that horse all pulled under and bowed up. She finally got him stopped and I ran to her and ask if she was OK. She said "I feel a little sick. I feel like I took a ride in a paint shaker." He got sold after that.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I know it sounds awful but I was quietly relieved when Chloe (all 17 hands of her!) was put to sleep. Sarah has shared a couple of horses since but nothing like as full on as owning one. Now she's 25 and prefers her BMW 2 series coupe. A lot safer.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

we have horses, i love em , but you can't lean. My storm though don't ever nuzzle me for polo,s though.Image
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's a good looking Horse :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

Well my mate got knocked off his bike by a horse that walked out in front of him, so there you go proof in itself that its less dangerous! :lol:

Of course my mate and the horse were ok.*

*no horses or bikes were hurt in the telling of this story*
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

bigtwinthing wrote:we have horses, i love em , but you can't lean. My storm though don't ever nuzzle me for polo,s though.Image
Is that the natural coloring in the horse? I don't think I have ever seen the like.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:we have horses, i love em , but you can't lean. My storm though don't ever nuzzle me for polo,s though.Image
Is that the natural coloring in the horse? I don't think I have ever seen the like.
we have just clipped him, its quite amazing the colour they are beneath their top coat. He is a big lad, 16 2 hands. He is an Irish draft. very strong but jumps almost 1 metre high. Shoeing every 9 weeks at £80 a pop, so aint cheap. The other ones not as nice to look at but is great too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!