Clocks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Spoony

Clocks

Post by Spoony »

Hi All

i have a 2001 VTR Firestorm and i want to change the clocks to the new version with the digital read out from say a 2003 model

is this possible ?

do i need to change anything except get a fuel tank reader for it ?
lloydie

Re: Clocks

Post by lloydie »

The hole electrical system will need to be swapped
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as lloydie said, not an easy swap, you'd be better of spending a bit more money and getting a good quality aftermarket digital dash, check out the translodgic md3 mini dash, not cheap but packed full of features from a gpi to shift lights.........
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It can be done but it's no straight forward swap. You will need a float from a later model fuel tank for the fuel level which will take some tweaking if in an early tank and also a later model temp sender unit for the thermostat housing if you want the temp gauge working accurately. The electrical connector block on the back of the unit is also different and will need re-wiring. Don't go putting a complete laer model loom in or you will have other issues as that has the HISS system with later model ECU's etc.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26071

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Buy a late model bike with the clocks on already...

Then again don't bother. On the later clocks the speedo is pants the dial has very small numbers & is hard to read at a glance. Esp. when you have aged dodgy eyesight...before anyone else says it...

IMO not worth the agro of changing them...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

+1 I liked the look of the later clocks, till I got a later bike with them on, ferkin small digits on the speedo and almost impossible to read.. :roll:

Stick with the old ones if I was you :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Virt

Post by Virt »

I can't read the speedo and I'm the youngest here, it's not an age thing! :lol: come night it's especially wombles useless too, really should replace the bulbs but meh

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Spoony

Post by Spoony »

cheers for the advice lads.

just sick of waiting for the oh sh1t light to come on and then go hunting for fuel :(

sometimes its not fun
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Easy solution.

Keep the odometer on the trip function,
Fill the tank to the brim when sitting on the bike, if you fill up on the side stand you will lose 20 miles
Reset trip at every fill up
and look for a petrol station at about 90 miles on the trip

Simples
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If I ain't at a petrol station @ 90 miles I'm pushing to it :-( must loose weight
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Spoony wrote:cheers for the advice lads.

just sick of waiting for the oh sh1t light to come on and then go hunting for fuel :(

sometimes its not fun
next time your out for a good long ride, estimate how much fuel/mileage you used from full to fuel light, then reset the clocks when you fill up, then just keep an eye on the mileage, you get used to knowing when the lights about to come on, so you can already keep an eye out for petrol station, even with later clocks I still wait for it to be down to the last bar(no not chocolate)...... :lol:
other than getting a later tank or converting a vfr tank fuel stops will always be an issuse :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fill the tank to the brim when sitting on the bike, if you fill up on the side stand you will lose 20 miles
That's the answer

Though I would not fill to the brim but up to the small bar that runs across the filler hole. You'll see what I mean when you look inside.

Because of such small fuel tanks a lot of folk tend to fill the tank to the brim with fuel whilst sitting on the bike. This can be an issue especially in hotter conditions. As fuel expands with heat it can block the tank vent causing a vapour lock.
Fuel Tank Vent Bike Cutting Out
That happens to be one of the hard things to overcome when converting from only a warning light to a fuel level gauge. As I said earlier a float from a later model 19l tank is needed which is not quite a straight swap into a 16l tank as the tanks are different shapes, more so internally than externally. The float would take some tweaking/bending to get accurate levels on the readout. Stick a float in a 19l tank and it's straight forward.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

cybercarl wrote:
That's the answer

Though I would not fill to the brim but up to the small bar that runs across the filler hole. You'll see what I mean when you look inside.

Because of such small fuel tanks a lot of folk tend to fill the tank to the brim with fuel whilst sitting on the bike. This can be an issue especially in hotter conditions. As fuel expands with heat it can block the tank vent causing a vapour lock.

I brim mine and never had a problem .
Regarding fuel expansion never noticed as it drinks it faster than it expands !
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Same old same old. Some have experienced it some have not but it's something to be aware of. IIRC Even Al experienced it happen once. Saying that it seems to be more of an issue over the pond in hotter climates. The common denominator is everyone has filled to the brim before the bike either wont start or cuts out. The last time I filled to the brim all I could smell was fuel as I went down the road. It must have been either pissing out the overflow or more fumes where backing down the vents.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yup, it happened on a hot day when I brimmed the tank then parked up for some scoff, but that's the only time in 13yrs! And the fix is easy.... Open the filler cap
AMcQ