1999 Blackbird

General Bike chat
Stratman

1999 Blackbird

Post by Stratman »

Hi all. I'm keeping the Storm forever, but probably as a local hooner rather than doing some of the touring I have done in the past because I'm fed up with the 16l tank! I want to go to Italy next year and we've already booked up for the Isle of Skye and Wales (although the latter I will do on the Storm)

Anyway, I have seen a Blackbird on e-bay. 1999, only 1850 warranted miles from new, carburated. Now withdrwan as didn't meet reserve, but I have spoken to the seller and I reckon I could get it for abot £3400.

Thing is, its been in his garaged unused for 3 years and I'm wondering that unles its been properly laid up that this could have caused more damage than regular use e.g. I know that the oil can effectively eat into things like cam lobes etc.

Any views/advice very gratefully received :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Paul,
Bit of a tough one that, after all said and done 1850mls in the 3yrs it was being used is still very low mileage, makes me think why :!:
It may well be a genuine bargain, I suppose the only thing to do is go and see it, if you've not already. Hopefully hear it running that should give you some idea of the engine condition (check exhausts for any signs of blue smoke on start up from cold and any strange rattles or knocking etc) after being garaged for so long, you never know depending how well it was stored you might be able to test ride it, check for things that would have been replaced if it had been in a smack, I would have thought the original tyres (well the front one anyway) would still be on it :!:
Remember to take the tyres into consideration when working out what you would be prepared to pay for the bike :!:

I'm a bit like you, I'd prefer a bike which has been used rather than one thats been stored, especially for 3yrs, but at the end of the day you really need to decide once you've seen it, given it a good going over (inspection wise) and hopefully test ridden it before you decide.Also check log document.

You may already know what I've said here, in which case you will be mechanically minded, but if you're not take someone with you who is.

Let us know what you decide,

Chris.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

I'm presuming he's given a valid reason for being stored for 3 years?

ie, Was letting the heat cool of a bit after it was nicked!!,
or, Was used in a smash n grab, so couldnt ride it about for a while!!,
or equally as sinister, - Couldnt afford to be spotted after the drive by shooting me & me m8 did in town!!

In all seriousness, could very easily be nicked. check out very carefully, do all numbers match the log book? go round the bike with a pen & paper, jot down every number you can find, check them against the log book. Insist that it is HPI'd, check No. plate bolts. If dirty, prolly havnt been changed, if clean as a whistle, been changed/plates been off - why?

If you test ride - Be a bit carefull with the tyres too, stored for 3 yrs = could be knackered rubber....

If HPI is clear, & you're happy all is above board.... buy it, personally i would look around though, cos that doesnt sound mega cheap.....

for further info on birds, check out -

http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/index.php?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Thanks guys - I'm sure that its a genuine bike but not sure about the harm that may have arisen by being laid up that long. You're right, its not that cheap and there are similar about with a few more regular miles for thge same sort of money or less. He didn't call me back which |I thought he may have done if he was keen to deal so I've all winter to find a bargain!
RQ

Post by RQ »

The famous adage of "if it seems to good to be true.........." certainly plays here. There are plenty more bargains to be had out there without the bother of wondering of how on earth there is so little mileage on her!! Hit Autotrader for the adds on Birds, there are plenty out there for good prices.
And yes, the Bird is fuggin fantastic!!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Just a word of caution, my blackbird suffered from rotting downpipes, and at the point where four become two, also the linked brakes gave trouble, worked ok, felt ok when you get used to them............but they went Richard, rear started to lock on, fully and brought the bike to a very rapid halt on motorway at 80 mph, disc red hot. Dealer could not find a fault.
this happened three times. In the end didnot feel safe and traded it in for vtr.
ps down pipes £400
otherwise a good bike but a bit boring.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Paul
How you Doing? Haven't seen you on line in a while. How's the bumps and scrapes mending? Are you back in work yet?

Pete.l
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

When I got my last Bandit it was over 2 years old but had less than 500 miles on it. They guy had bought it just before taking a job up in Scotland and had sat in his kitchen from the last couple of years.

I got it for a bargain price as he just wanted rid of it but most folk had assumed the same sort of thing you have done above. The bike was genuine and the only marks on it were from where it had been strapped down in the van on the way up here. Still hadn't been run in. All I did before taking it away was to have the local dealer replace the fluids etc.

Sometimes there are genuine bargains out there so I can only say that it's probably worth a look.

Al.