Rear header exhaust connection??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
shanet88

Rear header exhaust connection??

Post by shanet88 »

I have re-fitted my exhausts today, started her up and noticed I have a leak coming from the rear header pipe?? Not where it connects to the engine. but on the other connection just down from that! What is this section called? And what type of gasket will I need for it?
Also, will I have have to remove the whole exhaust system to change this gasket or can it be done just taking the cans and link pipes off??

Think bike! Think biker!
Wicky

Re: Rear header exhaust connection??

Post by Wicky »

http://www.ronayers.com/MUFFLER-C212285.aspx

You'll need to take the whole header section off and bung in the graphite gasket, part no. 6.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
shanet88

Post by shanet88 »

Cheers wicky. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the whole header section off. Looks like I will have to get the other two copper gaskets then Aswell.

Think bike! Think biker!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Or smear some High temp exhaust silicone around the seal/leak.

Here's an example there are cheaper ones. Blacks the best colour.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KART-EXHAUST- ... 43a73d0f50

You don't really need new copper rings as you have only just replaced them. Anyway you shouldn't have to remove the link that connects to the rear cylinder but the front will need removing along with the clamp around the rear where the leak is.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
shanet88

Post by shanet88 »

Nice one Carl, I've got some fire gum exhaust sealant that I've used on my link pipes. Do you think that would work just smearing around the leak instead of undoing the front header?

Think bike! Think biker!
Watty

Post by Watty »

shanet88 wrote:Nice one Carl, I've got some fire gum exhaust sealant that I've used on my link pipes. Do you think that would work just smearing around the leak instead of undoing the front header?

Think bike! Think biker!
It cracks and leaks over time mate so i'd go with the silicone :? , do it right once so to speak :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep it cracks and crumbles off. OK as a temporary fix but personally I would go straight for the silicone. The only downside with silicone is that you have to leave it to dry which is overnight really, whereas gun gun/firegum will get you out of trouble there and then, but not for long.

This is the one I use. Just try to keep the silicone to one finger so it don't make a mess. And keep a rag close to hand.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-INSTANT ... 2c76bf0571

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
shanet88

Post by shanet88 »

Cheers guys :) just picked myself some high temp silicone up. Gona put some on later and see what it's like tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's alright :)

Think bike! Think biker!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you place a box under the rear section of the collector, then loosen the front ex clamp at the head, you can then loosen the rear downpipe to collector clamp on drop the system down off the downpipe, leaving the rear downpipe in place and tight.
Then smear silicone round the pipe join and push it back on.
Tighten front header nuts and clamp, and away you go.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.